Windows Media Connect Service won't start on WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm running Windows Home Server and I had a problem to because "Windows Media Connect" failed to start.

First, I add the following error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: WMConnectCDS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 14305
    Date:  14/11/2009
    Time:  16:15:29
    User:  N/A
    Computer: WINHOMESRV
    Description:
    Service 'WMConnectCDS' failed to start correctly, due to 'InitializeNetworkMonitoring' returning error '0x8000ffff'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

... After some research on the web, I find out. It could be a logon/permission problem.
    I was running this service with "Local System System", so I swap to "Network Service" with <blank> password.
    Then, I get the following error...

Time:  16:27:37
    Description:
    Service 'WMConnectCDS' failed to start correctly, due to 'CreateMediaDevices' returning error '0x80070002'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

... nobody seem to have this issue on the web and I had to find it myself. Which I did!!!

A week ago, my system drive was running low on space. So I decide to move "C:\Documents and settings" to my D drive.
    At that time I didn't copy across the content of both account "Local Service" and "Network Service" - So to solve my problem, I copy accross all the content of
    "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService" and "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService" to my new location et it's working now.

When I setting my WHS, I couldn't choose the size of my system drive. Today, I have some trouble! 20Gb for windows - It's too small! I have to move the virtual memory file and "doc & set" to survive!

I did also have a problem with IIS, but I manage to start it again by uninstall and re-install via add-remove windows component.

I hope, this post will help anyone how have this problem in the futur.

Regards,

Franck

Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• I'm running Windows Home Server and I had a problem to because "Windows Media Connect" failed to start.

First, I add the following error:

Time:  16:15:29
    Description:
    Service 'WMConnectCDS' failed to start correctly, due to 'InitializeNetworkMonitoring' returning error '0x8000ffff'.

... After some research on the web, I find out. It could be a logon/permission problem.
    I was running this service with "Local System System", so I swap to "Network Service" with <blank> password.
    Then, I get the following error...

Time:  16:27:37
    Description:
    Service 'WMConnectCDS' failed to start correctly, due to 'CreateMediaDevices' returning error '0x80070002'.

... nobody seem to have this issue on the web and I had to find it myself. Which I did!!!

A week ago, my system drive was running low on space. So I decide to move "C:\Documents and settings" to my D drive.
    At that time I didn't copy across the content of both account "Local Service" and "Network Service" - So to solve my problem, I copy accross all the content of
    "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService" and "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService" to my new location et it's working now.

When I setting my WHS, I couldn't choose the size of my system drive. Today, I have some trouble! 20Gb for windows - It's too small! I have to move the virtual memory file and "doc & set" to survive!

I did also have a problem with IIS, but I manage to start it again by uninstall and re-install via add-remove windows component.

I hope, this post will help anyone how have this problem in the futur.

Regards,

Franck

Note that 20 GB for the OS partition is more than enough provided that A) you are using WHS as it's designed (meaning you don't logon to the server desktop because it's unsupported) and B) you have no perpetual issues that are inflating the log files stored on the server.  As for why your OS partition was running low on space, I'd be willing to bet it's tied to one (or both) of those points.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for your replies, I receive my copy of WHS with MAPS and I must admit - I didn't really use it "as design".
    Even so I don't store my data on the C drive, I install few software to work on this Server.
    After few other problem of space during the WE, I take the decision to reinstall my OS and use it more "as design".

I'm looking after install to delete all the Windows Update caches folders:
    - %WINDOWS%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    - %WINDOWS%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

Regards,
    Franck
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:58 AM