none
Radius Server and WHS on the same machine. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Windows Home Server v1 for some time now. After a major hardware crash and countless hours to fix the problems, I decided to upgrade to WHS 2011. I bought a new motherboard, CPU and memory just for this purpose. I am still running v1, but will migrate to WHS 2011 as soon as I get the problems worked out.

I have a neighborhood network (open mesh) connected that shares a T1 line for internet access on the WHS server using Routing and Remote Access with DHCP all on the same server. There are eight homes that share this connection. This has not been a problem until recently when I found that someone has been leeching on the wifi network. I need to put in place some type of authentication of the users. Open Mesh (and WiFi Mesh) allow for a Radius server to be used for authentication. From my understanding, Active Directory has to be installed in order to install the Radius Server. I also understand that WHS 2011 does not allow Active Directory to be installed.

I have been looking for a cheap Radius server to run independently on WHS but have not found anything with the exception of DNSDirector which may or may not work in my situation.

I have a licensed version of Windows Server 2008 that I can use. I would use it instead of WHS except I like the backup support and folder duplication features of WHS. My thought would be to run Windows Server 2008 in VMWare just to support the Radius server and captive portal. 

The good news is that everything is on a test server and I can reinstall if necessary without worrying about the live system. 

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on this.

Steve

Steve Mayo

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:14 PM

All replies

• Nothing you want to do is really supported, per se. That said, I'd probably start with FreeRADIUS in a VM and see where it got me...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Thanks Ken. I had hoped on using a MS solution, but you are probably right. I will give it a try.

Steve Mayo

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:28 AM