Dashboards without MOSS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi. I am just wondering, after looking at so many informational sites talking about building dashboards with Sharepoint Server or Windows Sharepoint Services. Is it possible to build a dashboard and display it in MS CRM 4.0 without using Sharepoint Server or Windows Sharepoint Services?
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

That's something absolutely possible, even thought it can be more complex than using Sharepoint and it could require some coding.

For example, you can create a dashboard using a asp.net web page a placing inside the web page several Report Viewers to show charts from Reporting Services (or even use another charting tool retrieving data from CRM), as well as shown some of the grids and dialog of the CRM inside the asp.net web.

After that you will place that asp.net page on the same web server as the CRM Web application and change the sitemap to show that page on the workplace.

Hope it helps,

Marco

DynamicsCrmKicks

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That's something absolutely possible, even thought it can be more complex than using Sharepoint and it could require some coding.

For example, you can create a dashboard using a asp.net web page a placing inside the web page several Report Viewers to show charts from Reporting Services (or even use another charting tool retrieving data from CRM), as well as shown some of the grids and dialog of the CRM inside the asp.net web.

After that you will place that asp.net page on the same web server as the CRM Web application and change the sitemap to show that page on the workplace.

Hope it helps,

Marco

DynamicsCrmKicks

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:42 PM
  • yes you can create dashboards without MOSS, you have to develop asp.net application and read crm webservices to achieve this.

I have done few using asp.net and infragistic charting controls to look great dashboards.

Regards,

Imran

msn : mscrmexpert@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:10 PM
  • An easy way to do this is to build your dashboard in an SRS report and display it from a nav bar link in CRM.  The reason that so many dashboards use SharePoint is because it is a fairly easy "no code" option to get a pretty nice looking dashboard in a short amount of time. 

WSS is free, and is really all you need to deploy a sharepoint dashboard.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:10 PM
  • I see. So basically the reason why people use MOSS or WSS is because it makes dashboards easier to be created. Ok I will keep that in mind while I explore the options.

Thanks gentlemen!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:11 AM
  • Please consider not only what the inital cost to build the dashboard, but also what would be the continuing level of effort to make modifications to it. 

If you code something, it will require coninual IT involvement to add additional web parts.  with Sharepoint, you can have more of an advanced user do it.

WSS is nice, because it is free, and all you need it the know-how to write SRS reports.  If you want to make it flashier with gauges, etc, you can add Dundas charts and graphs.  Performance Point dashboard designer also is worth considering--that makes it easier to create the dashboard, without having to mess with the sharepoint web parts.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:14 AM
  •  

I see. Okay thanks alot Joel.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 2:59 AM