FAQ: (Workaround) How to use an internal hard drive as a backup device in OneCare RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have discovered a way to enable an internal hard drive as a OneCare backup device, without requiring registering the PC as a Hub PC, and without creating a new "share".  This worked in Windows Vista Home Premium [YRMV in other OS].

First, I clicked Start / Network / Network and Sharing Center -- then I turned ON File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing, and I turned OFF Password Protected Sharing.  (If you use a password on your Windows logon, then I would suggest leaving this turned ON.)

Second, I clicked Start / Network -- then I clicked on the icon for my pc (KIRK-PC, in my case).

Third, I right-clicked the icon for my second (internal) hard drive (e, in my case), and clicked Map Network Drive, then I left the option set to Z for the new drive letter, and clicked FINISH (if you have Password Protected Sharing turned ON, this is where it would ask you for the password, but since mine was off, it just went on and) -- a new window opened showing (\\KIRK-PC\E) (ZSmile -- and I was ready.

Fourth, I entered Z: for the network location in the OneCare backup settings, and it happily recognized this as a "networked drive".  I then ran backup, and it worked just fine.

You're welcome.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:08 PM