Which folder should I use to backup WHS client database? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Now that my WHS is healthy again, (thanks to this forum and brubber) and since I want to regularly backup the WHS backup database to an external drive, I'm wondering which WHS folder I should copy to the external drive. I have 3 internal hard drives on my WHS. The "Technical Brief for Backup and Restore" says to copy from the D:\folders\{000....} folder. But the instructions for "Fixing Database Inconsistency Errors" under "Restoring the client backup database if you can not restore it from a shadow copy" A5 says to copy from C:\fs\X\DE\folders\{000....} for a 2 or more disk system.

It seems I should use the C:\fs\X\DE\folders\{000....} as mentioned in the forum post, but first I want to make sure that from now on, if I have another database inconsistency error, I've got the proper database copied on my external drive. So, do I copy from D:\folders... or C:\fs\....?

Thank you very very much.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 9:00 PM

Answers

•  Shangwe wrote:

Now that my WHS is healthy again, (thanks to this forum and brubber) and since I want to regularly backup the WHS backup database to an external drive, I'm wondering which WHS folder I should copy to the external drive. I have 3 internal hard drives on my WHS. The "Technical Brief for Backup and Restore" says to copy from the D:\folders\{000....} folder. But the instructions for "Fixing Database Inconsistency Errors" under "Restoring the client backup database if you can not restore it from a shadow copy" A5 says to copy from C:\fs\X\DE\folders\{000....} for a 2 or more disk system.

It seems I should use the C:\fs\X\DE\folders\{000....} as mentioned in the forum post, but first I want to make sure that from now on, if I have another database inconsistency error, I've got the proper database copied on my external drive. So, do I copy from D:\folders... or C:\fs\....?

You want to copy from D:\folders\{000.....}.  The reason is those are "tombstones" that point to the actual files (which could be stored on any one of the other drives).

Saturday, July 5, 2008 11:23 PM

All replies

•  Shangwe wrote:

You want to copy from D:\folders\{000.....}.  The reason is those are "tombstones" that point to the actual files (which could be stored on any one of the other drives).

Saturday, July 5, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Okay. Thanks for the QUICK reply!
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 2:02 AM