Adding drives to the pool, is it the same as the old WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• .....pretty simple question I know BUT, it seems that if you put 2 drives in the server when you set it up it allocates the main drive (all 450GB) for the system and...something else...and makes the second drive (750GB) as "data".

SO, if I add another drive will it add it to the pool as additional space automatically? or is there any other thing I gotta do?

thanks, and y'all have a wonderful evening... ;-)

Tall , dark....chubby...and handsome.

Monday, June 3, 2013 1:23 AM

Answers

• No, there is no "pool" as there was with WHS1. You will be given the option (in the Dashboard under Server Folders and Hard Drives, Hard Drives) to add the drive to Server storage after which it will be given a new drive letter. You can then use the Dashboard to either move an existing folder(s) to the new drive or to create a new shared folder(s).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, June 3, 2013 12:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by JimBeamBlack Monday, June 3, 2013 4:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:29 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 1:47 AM

All replies

• No, there is no "pool" as there was with WHS1. You will be given the option (in the Dashboard under Server Folders and Hard Drives, Hard Drives) to add the drive to Server storage after which it will be given a new drive letter. You can then use the Dashboard to either move an existing folder(s) to the new drive or to create a new shared folder(s).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, June 3, 2013 12:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by JimBeamBlack Monday, June 3, 2013 4:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:29 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 1:47 AM
  • Ahhh I see, that is different, I'm gonna have to rethink my backup strat.

Thank you sir, have a fantastic day.

Tall , dark....chubby...and handsome.

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:39 PM
  • There are 3rd party add-ons which do something similar to the WHS1 approach - DriveBender & DrivePool - which you might want to consider.

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Ahhh I see, that is different, I'm gonna have to rethink my backup strat.

I have tried some of the 3rd party pool options, but I was never convinced of their reliability.  It turns out that while there is no disk pooling, WHS 2011 does have some advantages of its own compared to WHS v1:

1. If you have no more than 2Tb of "critical" data on the server that requires backup, then you can just use the built-in Server Backup facility in WHS 2011.  Normal backup interval is twice daily, but you can set it to backup even more frequently if you like.  Unlike mirroring, this is true versioned backup, meaning you can go back to an earlier version of a file if you like.  (The 2TB limit is not a problem for me; I don't backup the client backups, as this data is already redundantly stored on my PCs.)

1. In addition, unlike WHS v1, WHS 2011 supports volume shadow copies for storage drives. When enabled, you can restore individual files or folders on a server share from the client using Windows Explorer's built-in "Previous Versions" feature.  This is highly useful, since there is no "Recycle Bin" for server shares.

• Edited by Gary Voth Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:56 PM