Has Microsoft stopped the replacement of high quaility fakes in the uk ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• All,

I bought a high quality fake copy of Win 7 Professional on ebay.co.uk.

You used to be able to send it to Microsoft and if found to be fake they would send you a legit copy. Looking on the Product identification website it looks like this option has now been removed?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/product-identification-service.mspx

This is really disappointing for users who get caught as getting your money back via paypal.co.uk is close to impossible. They require a letter from from Microsoft confirming the software is fake but you can't get that in the 10 days paypal give you to do it. there was a suggestion you could point them to the reports here (I tried that) but paypal refused to accept that.

Can anybody confirm if the product replacement service has been stopped? I guess there is such a flood of fake copies of Win 7 on ebay they could not keep up anymore.

Thanks

Simon

• Moved by Darin Smith MSModerator Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:31 PM moved to Comment and Feedback forum (From:Windows 7 Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows 7))
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:24 PM

All replies

• Its time to take personal responsibility and purchase your software from a trusted, reliable and proven source such as the  Microsoft Store.  Auction web sites, such as eBay, have become a haven for unscruplous sellers of pirated/counterfeit Microsoft software.  Microsoft has been educating the public for several years and it now time to stand on your own two feet and use some common sense.

Protect  Yourself From Piracy

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:58 PM
  • I take your response as harsh and misguided. I also Googled Micrsoft Office Products" and found a website that was pretty much a screenshot of your own site. It was on the first page of a Google search, so as a consumer, I have to trust that the search engine has researched the sites that they display for e-commerce. I bought what i thought was Windows 7, and Office Home and Student, only to recieve email confirmation of the sale 5 hours later. I was sent "links" to download and activate a genuine Microsoft product, but was sceptical of a few things, so I called Micrsoft to confirm the keycodes sent to me were in fact real. They replied that the keycodes are MSDM keycodes and are virtually useless to a consumer like myself. I would not have the ability to upgrade or recieve updates, and that it was a subscrption of sorts given to me by a third party who in turn got the MSDM pruduct key codes through Microsoft Corp. where you sell them to developers all day. It seems that you, as a company, sub-contracting these keycodes, should do some backround checks on the people who are claiming to be someone they are not. Then, people like myself, will not have to worry about any piracy issues going on within the internet. It seems the piracy laws in place are geared to make us look like we did something wrong, when in fact, you supplied them with the sofetware to pirate in the first place! Im still trying to recoup my monies that I put out there. May not see it, but rest assured, I will get it back. We have common sense, it seems to me you need to come off of your high horse over there in Redmond and see whats happening with the people who buy your products to keep you employed, and show some respect!

Sean Taylor

Beverly, MA

Saturday, January 8, 2011 7:57 PM
  • "SeanTaylor2" wrote in message news:c75e91de-c9db-4449-baa2-e9e225ce2533...

I take your response as harsh and misguided. I also Googled Micrsoft Office Products" and found a website that was pretty much a screenshot of your own site. It was on the first page of a Google search, so as a consumer, I have to trust that the search engine has researched the sites that they display for e-commerce.                                                                            

Google does NO research on sites at all in the context in which you mean it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:19 PM