Launchpad crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im having some issues with LaunchPad. Whenever i try open it and login on my notebook, it throws an error. 

The specific error message i get is: Windows Server Computer Launchpad has stopped working.

In my event log i get these errors:

Application: Launchpad.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
    Stack:
      at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.LaunchPad.MainWindow.signInBackgroundWorker_RunWorkerCompleted(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs)
      at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
      at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
      at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
      at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)
      at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
      at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
      at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
      at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
      at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
      at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
      at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
      at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
      at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
      at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
      at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
      at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
      at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
      at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
      at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
      at System.Windows.Application.Run()
      at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.LaunchPad.App.Main()

and

Faulting application name: Launchpad.exe, version: 6.1.7657.0, time stamp: 0x4c3fcbd5
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfe0
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000aa7d
    Faulting process id: 0xfe0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb815413a339f2
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Launchpad.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 572c9e24-ed47-11df-8845-00269ed44453

and finally, the bug report

Fault bucket 1319923833, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: launchpad.exe
    P2: 6.1.7657.0
    P3: 4c3fcbd5
    P4: Launchpad
    P5: 6.1.0.0
    P6: 4c3fcbd5
    P7: 200
    P8: 56
    P9: N3CTRYE2KN3C34SGL4ZQYRBFTE4M13NB
    P10: 

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\WER58F8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_launchpad.exe_c53bef2ae8c8d3695cec621431eb268ab96fddb9_1a29e8f7

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 572c9e24-ed47-11df-8845-00269ed44453
    Report Status: 0

My laptop is a HP Envy 15t, i7 processor running Windows 7 x64.

The server is running inside a VM on Citrix XenServer. 

The dashboard app works perfectly, although im not much of a fan of the remoteapp instance of it. 

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

Welll...
    The errors you posted in your message do not give me any usable information on what is going wrong.
    Th best advise I can give you at this time is to try re-installing the VAIL connector to see if this resolves the problem.

But before you try that, would you please report this problem on Connect?
    Thanks,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Welll...
    The errors you posted in your message do not give me any usable information on what is going wrong.
    Th best advise I can give you at this time is to try re-installing the VAIL connector to see if this resolves the problem.

But before you try that, would you please report this problem on Connect?
    Thanks,
    - Theo.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:00 PM
  • I have tried re-installing the connector software but i still got the error.

Is there more useful log files kept somewhere else that i can post? I looked in my AppData folder but could only fine a config file for it.

Thanks

Chris

Friday, November 12, 2010 1:31 AM
  • Hi Chris,

From MS Connect download the "Windows Server Solutions Log Collector Preview", read the documentation and install it on client.
    This tool will collect relevant data into a single .zip file you can submit with your feedback.

- Theo.

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:47 PM
  • I dont want to be rude, but i came on this forum for answers. I already knew about the log collector and was going to do that already.

I was hoping for something for helpful then "use the log collector". Fair enough if you dont know whats wrong, but shouldnt i be the one to mark what the answer is. Instead of you insistently marking your post as the answer when really its not that helpful to me...

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:25 AM
  • On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 01:25:00 +0000, oddz wrote:

Fair enough if you dont know whats wrong, but shouldnt i be the one to mark what the answer is. Instead of you insistently marking your post as the answer when really its not that helpful to me...

You may want to have another look at the post that was marked as an answer
    and who was, in fact, marking it as an answer. It wasn't Theo marking it as
    an answer, it was Jonas, who actually works for Microsoft.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Ok fair enough. It seems more logical though if the person that asks the question decides if its a suitable answer (within some limits of course). 
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:29 AM
  • On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 01:25:00 +0000, oddz wrote:

I dont want to be rude, but i came on this forum for answers.

You're not going to get any answers to the question you asked here. Your
    specific problem needs to be debugged and you're not going to get that kind
    of support here. You need to do as suggested and collect the logs and file
    a bug. Even then, you really shouldn't have any expectation of someone
    providing you with an answer to your problem.

You may not like this, but that is often the reality of beta testing and if
    you don't like that reality then perhaps beta testing simply isn't right
    for you.

Paul Adare

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:47 AM
  • On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:29:44 +0000, oddz wrote:

Ok fair enough. It seems more logical though if the person that asks the question decides if its a suitable answer (within some limits of course).

Given that the suggestion to attempt a reinstall and file a bug was marked
    as an answer by someone from Microsoft on the Vail product team then I
    think it is perfectly logical that you may want to accept that as the only
    answer you're likely to get to your problem.

Paul Adare

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:50 AM
  • You know what, i wrote a massive post defending what i said and was going to post it. But i give up, theres no point in trying so ill leave it alone.

I'm a software/electronic engineer myself, so im perfectly aware of the difficulty involved in beta testing. I understand that beta means it not quite ready yet, i joined the program because i liked WHS v1 so much that i wanted to help out and do my bit with v2.

Thanks,

Chris

Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:45 AM