External Hard Drive on Client PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I just added an external HD to my Windows Vista Client PC.  What do I need to do so that WHS Server sees this HD and includes it in the backup routine for the Client PC?

While originally installing another HD, an alert popped up asking about including the HD in the backup process, but that drive didn't work out so I had to replace it.  However, this time, I haven't seen such of an alert.

I went into the control panel and selected "configure backup" for this client PC, but the external drive is not listed, only the two internal drives.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SilkRod
    Monday, November 17, 2008 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    is the drive formatted with NTFS?
    If yes, is it still empty? If it is not empty, copy the data to some other place and try to use diskpart to clean the disk information (as outlined here).
    Add following lines to create a new partition on that disk after cleaning, before the exit command:
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    format QUICK
    assign letter=X
    (select a drive letter of your choice)

Not sure, if this solves the issue, but it may be worth a try.
    Has the client been rebooted after connecting the new drive?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 17, 2008 8:45 AM
  • Hello Olaf,

I didn't reformat exactly as you suggested, but I did reformat the hard drive.  Imediately afterwards, the WHS Health Indicator popped up stating that a new hard drive had been added to my client PC and that I should configure WHS to back it up.

Prior to receiving your suggestion, I Googled my Hard drive and several other users stated that they reformated their drives using Windows.  So that just what I did and it worked perfectly.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I'm still working on the Outlook problem, but that's another story.

Regards,

SilkRod
    • Marked as answer by SilkRod Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:03 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SilkRod Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    is the drive formatted with NTFS?
    If yes, is it still empty? If it is not empty, copy the data to some other place and try to use diskpart to clean the disk information (as outlined here).
    Add following lines to create a new partition on that disk after cleaning, before the exit command:
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    format QUICK
    assign letter=X
    (select a drive letter of your choice)

Not sure, if this solves the issue, but it may be worth a try.
    Has the client been rebooted after connecting the new drive?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 17, 2008 8:45 AM
  • Hello Olaf,

I didn't reformat exactly as you suggested, but I did reformat the hard drive.  Imediately afterwards, the WHS Health Indicator popped up stating that a new hard drive had been added to my client PC and that I should configure WHS to back it up.

Prior to receiving your suggestion, I Googled my Hard drive and several other users stated that they reformated their drives using Windows.  So that just what I did and it worked perfectly.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I'm still working on the Outlook problem, but that's another story.

Regards,

SilkRod
    • Unmarked as answer by SilkRod Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:02 PM