none
MS Money log in failure, after major Windows 10 update RRS feed

• Question

• After updating Windows 10, I tried to access MS Money (2004) using the usual method (name, password) but the system just tried to "sign in" showing flashing dots, however it fails to allow me access.  When I try "cancel", I get a message that Microsoft Money is not responding.  It was running perfectly before the update.  I've tried several times.  I believe that the Update caused this problem.  Is there any way to get this resolved?  I use this program regularly and it's got all my financial data for many years.  
    Monday, February 11, 2019 9:32 PM

All replies

• I know it is too late in your case, but for others, this is a good reason to turn off auto-updates.  I've written an article explaining how to do this, and contrary to popular opinion, it works for the Home edition of Windows 10.  I'm still on 1803, and I'm staying there until I'm convinced it's time to manually update to a more recent version.
    Monday, February 11, 2019 9:49 PM
  • After updating Windows 10, I tried to access MS Money (2004) using the usual method (name, password) but the system just tried to "sign in" showing flashing dots, however it fails to allow me access.  When I try "cancel", I get a message that Microsoft Money is not responding.  It was running perfectly before the update.  I've tried several times.  I believe that the Update caused this problem.  Is there any way to get this resolved?  I use this program regularly and it's got all my financial data for many years.  

Please try the following command in a command window:

dir "%ProgramFiles%\*money*"

The reason I ask is to determine if you are using Money 2004 or 2005. The result of that command should tell us which.

I suspect you are not in North America. That would affect your options.

I would use the Windows Firewall to stop Money from accessing the Internet. Ask how if you are interested.

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:39 PM
  • I know it is too late in your case, but for others, this is a good reason to turn off auto-updates.  I've written an article explaining how to do this, and contrary to popular opinion, it works for the Home edition of Windows 10.  I'm still on 1803, and I'm staying there until I'm convinced it's time to manually update to a more recent version.

I just want to dispel any rumors that the latest update has broken Money. Money Plus is STILL working with the latest update. Delaying updates only puts your computer at risk. We often get reports of people who have problems with Money, and it usually turns out to be people who have Money 2005 and reinstall from the original disk instead of getting the updated version of 2005 download. A file that was opened in the 2005 update cannot be opened in the original 2005 program, the file format changed. Other cases include damages to the system or to the money installation. These have been fixed by reinstalling, and making sure you have the correct Money patch (for Sunset) or the correct installation for 2005.

If an update to Windows 10 broke Money, you would get a ton of reports of broken experiences.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:54 PM