Windows 7 and Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Is is safe to install the Connector software on a Windows 7 machine? Any know problems or workarounds? Thanks
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:01 PM

All replies

• It's safe, but Power Pack 3 will add some compatibility enhancements for Windows 7 to the product.

You may want to either install Power Pack 3 beta (available on Connect) or wait for it to be released. If the latter, watch the Windows Home Server team blog for information.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Ken,

What is and where is Connect? Thanks
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Ken,

What is and where is Connect? Thanks

Here is the link to Connect.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:01 AM
  • It's safe, but Power Pack 3 will add some compatibility enhancements for Windows 7 to the product.

You may want to either install Power Pack 3 beta (available on Connect) or wait for it to be released. If the latter, watch the Windows Home Server team blog for information.

Ken,

I've been away from WHS forums for a spell.  I just got a Windows 7 64 PC (my first 64 bit machine) and want to install WHS Connector right off to do an image back up of the OS before I do any setup.

If I connect to my WHS via browser: http://yourservername:55000  will it install the correct WHS Connector for Win7 64? Or do I have to get it from a MS download site?  My WHS is a 32 bit home-built unit fully updated.

Lastly, I know PP 3 Beta is available, but do I have to install the Beta to get a reliable backup of Win 7 64?  I was hoping to wait until the final release, but I don't have to if the benefits outweigh the threats.

Thanks.
    Paul
    Paul Roberts-The Judge-AMD 1.33 GHz, 1.5 gb PC133 ram, 2x500gb WD 16mb cache IDE HD's, 2x1TB SATAII HD's-WHS OEM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:33 PM
  • If I connect to my WHS via browser: http://yourservername:55000  will it install the correct WHS Connector for Win7 64? Or do I have to get it from a MS download site?  My WHS is a 32 bit home-built unit fully updated.
    Yes, it will install the correct connector.
    Lastly, I know PP 3 Beta is available, but do I have to install the Beta to get a reliable backup of Win 7 64?  I was hoping to wait until the final release, but I don't have to if the benefits outweigh the threats.
    You don't have to install Power Pack 3 beta, but there are Windows 7 compatibility enhancements. In particular, a Windows 7 computer without Power Pack 3 may not successfully back up if resuming from standby/hibernation.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Ken,

As usual, prompt and thorough advice!

I may not install PP3 on my WHS yet, I spent some time reformatting my OEM WHS after all the original beta-CPT-RC testing of WHS and then the Beta PP1 and PP2 testing. So, I'm a tad skeptical to install another Beta on my solid machine. Though I'm sure, like before, no ill fate may come as a result.

Also, I have no intention of running the Win 7 machine during the night, so it will not have to back up from a standby/hibernation. I'll give the beta some thought additional though.

Thanks for the guidance!
    Paul Roberts-The Judge-AMD 1.33 GHz, 1.5 gb PC133 ram, 2x500gb WD 16mb cache IDE HD's, 2x1TB SATAII HD's-WHS OEM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Just to let you know, I've been using Powerpack 2 with Win7 just fine. Not using any of the Media Center features or tweaks, but that's mostly because I just use it as a backup machine.
    Waiting for PP3 to be released officially, then I'll install it.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Just to let you know, I've been using Powerpack 2 with Win7 just fine. Not using any of the Media Center features or tweaks, but that's mostly because I just use it as a backup machine.
    Waiting for PP3 to be released officially, then I'll install it.

FYI, PP3 RTM will be available next Tuesday (here is the blog post).
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:30 PM
  • What is  port 55000 in this: http://yourservername:55000    ?

Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:07 PM
  • The http port on which you will find the installer for the connector.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I installed connector just fine on my new Revo 3610 with Win-7 64. It did manual and auto backups just fine. Glad to see it works well.
    Waiting to get PP3 today and review new improvements with it overall.

Thanks again for the quick guidance help.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:11 PM