none
Can I use WHS to migrate a Windows system to a new computer host? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to upgrade my Windows XP Pro installation to a new computer.  I suspect without trying that it is not possible to restore a backup to another computer that is not exactly like the old one.  I've tried doing this with ASR, the Automated System Recovery backup and it doesn't work.  According to WHS help page on restoration, the scenario seems to assume a failed hard drive and nothing more.  A computer failure is not dealt with which would be a similar issue with migration accross hardware.

How do I use WHS to migrate my Windows XP Pro installation to another computer?  I imagine it should be able to play some role.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:28 PM

Answers

• pksky said:

And I assume that you would just copy the relevent files to the new installation's users.  Yes?

Ken is saying to use the Single File Restore feature from WHS to restore to your new computer from the last backup of your old computer whatever files/folders you want to keep.

pksky said:

Could you point out what directories those are?

They are whatever you want to keep.

pksky said:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage between your method and using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?

IMO, Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would be more complete (and frankly, a much better tool than the Backup Restore feature to use in your scenario).

pksky said:

Are there files or settings that the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would miss? 

None that I know of.  However, you are now drifting out of WHS territory and, as such, you should post your question in the XP forums.
    • Marked as answer by pksky Monday, March 23, 2009 8:18 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:23 PM

All replies

• If you do a search, you will find that this question has been asked, and answered, before. The short answer: migration is unsupported, not a design goal for Windows Home Server, and likely not to work without a lot of effort on your part. The supported solution if you're replacing the hardware entirely is to restore data files only, using the single file restore tool in Windows Home Server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Could you recommend some search terms?  The posting mechanism runs a search automatically and didn't find anything using the terms of my post.  "migration" didn't turn up anything either.

By "data files" I assume you mean user files?  The is a user migration tool in XP Pro, it will be handy using WHS for that at least.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:49 PM
  • I would probably search on something like upgrade computer migration.As for the data files, it's exactly like having the old computer's hard drive in an external enclosure and connected to the new computer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Since search somtimes works less than perfect, here is a link to a thread, in which the topic has been discussed.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 20, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

...  .As for the data files, it's exactly like having the old computer's hard drive in an external enclosure and connected to the new computer.

And I assume that you would just copy the relevent files to the new installation's users.  Yes?  Could you point out what directories those are?  Is there any advantage/disadvantage between your method and using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?  Are there files or settings that the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would miss? 
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:05 PM
  • pksky said:

And I assume that you would just copy the relevent files to the new installation's users.  Yes?

Ken is saying to use the Single File Restore feature from WHS to restore to your new computer from the last backup of your old computer whatever files/folders you want to keep.

pksky said:

Could you point out what directories those are?

They are whatever you want to keep.

pksky said:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage between your method and using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?

IMO, Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would be more complete (and frankly, a much better tool than the Backup Restore feature to use in your scenario).

pksky said:

Are there files or settings that the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would miss? 

None that I know of.  However, you are now drifting out of WHS territory and, as such, you should post your question in the XP forums.
    • Marked as answer by pksky Monday, March 23, 2009 8:18 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:23 PM