Removing a USB Printer from the WHS Server RRS feed

• Question

• I plugged in a USB printer to the back of the HP Media Smart Server in order to attach the printer to my network.  Now I wish to remove it and cannot do so.

I unplugged the USB and removed the printer but the Icon remains.  I have tried to delete it through the "Shared Folders" and I get a message saying I do not have access.  I can delete the printer through the Control Panel->Printers but it remains in the 'Shared Folders"

Do I have to remove it in a special way?

HBV
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:40 PM

Answers

• HBV said:

I plugged in a USB printer to the back of the HP Media Smart Server in order to attach the printer to my network.  Now I wish to remove it and cannot do so.

I unplugged the USB and removed the printer but the Icon remains.  I have tried to delete it through the "Shared Folders" and I get a message saying I do not have access.  I can delete the printer through the Control Panel->Printers but it remains in the 'Shared Folders"

Do I have to remove it in a special way?

HBV

Hi

You do not have permissions to delete the printer via the shared folders because you are not logged in as the administrator. You are logged in with your machine account.

When you delete the printer through the control panel, I assume this is on the client? You are deleting the printer on your client and not the server. In order to delete the printer on the server, you will need to log into the server via remote desktop as the administrator and delete it through the server's control panel.

Thanks! 

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, December 29, 2008 6:31 PM