Is there password synchronization in Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• I tried an early beta of the original WHS beta a long time ago and remember that the connector software would keep all passwords in sync for user accounts on connected computers. What has happened to that feature since then? I cannot find recent references to it on the forums, so was it removed before Vail? It seems I now have to keep the WHS user accounts in sync, in addition to the client pcs (or at least the credentials cache on each computer). That seems like a step backward. Or am I missing something in setting up user accounts in Vail? 
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

The password sync has been replaced by the launchpad.  You can now access the WHS 2011 box without having to sync your user account and passwords with your desktop.  The launchpad is where you sign into access the server.

HTH

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Sahol Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:54 AM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

The password sync has been replaced by the launchpad.  You can now access the WHS 2011 box without having to sync your user account and passwords with your desktop.  The launchpad is where you sign into access the server.

HTH

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Sahol Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:54 AM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:51 PM
  • I'd run into this as a problem because I'd set the launchpad to not launch because I didn't want it running at startup and didn't need another thing cluttering up the desktop that I'll use once in a blue moon.  As a result I found that I couldn't get to my personal shares on the server.  I'm now forced to run it, but am still finding little problems like the fact that my iTunes sync (also running at startup) fails intermittently because it sometimes starts before the launchpad manages to kick in and sort out my connections to the server.  I did try making my password on the server the same as my workstation but this seems to make no difference.

In short, I'm not 100% convinced by the new approach, but it would certainly be nice to be able to run the launchpad minimised at startup for those of us who don't plan to actually use it as a UI very often.

thanks

Mike

Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:23 PM