Deployment Of Edge Server - A Few questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to deploy OCS edge servers for my company and I have a few questions.

My current topology consist of:

1. Forest Root Domain (with no users) - domain.corp

2. 3 Child domains (aa.domain.corp / bb.domain.corp / cc.domain.corp) in 3 different locations.

3. The primary datacenter is at aa.domain.corp

4. The DMZ where I plan to put the EDGE server is on aa.domain.corp and consist of ISA 2006 server that is already running.

5. Today I have 3 OCS standard servers for each child domain that are working and communicating with each other.

My question is - if want to deploy ocs edge server just for the option to allow users to connect from remote (most of the users are laptops users) - is it enough to put 1 OCS Edge server in the primary datacenter for all users from the 3 child domains?

or do I need EDGE server for each child domain?

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:41 AM

Answers

• Apparently it is supported by not recommended

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb894627.aspx

Access EDGE

Two network adapters, one for the internal interface of the Access Edge Server and one for the external interface, are supported and recommended. A single multihomed network adapter for both the internal and external edge is also supported.

A/V EDGE

The external interface of the A/V Edge Server must have a publicly routable IP address. If an external firewall is deployed, it must not use NAT (network address translation) for this IP address. This requirement does not apply to other edge server roles.

The IP address of the internal interface of the A/V Edge Server must not have NAT applied to it. If an internal firewall is deployed, it must not use NAT for this IP address.

Two network adapters, one for the internal interface of the A/V Edge Server and one for the external interface, are supported and recommended. A single multihomed network adapter for both the internal and external edge is also supported.

But I have seen many having problems with only using one Network Adapter

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:33 AM

All replies

• You only required one EDGE Server

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:23 AM
  • So all users (including those from the other child domains) will be forward to their OCS server using one edge server that will sitting the in primary datacenter DMZ?

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:55 AM
  • That would be correct

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:56 PM
  • Thank you very much for your help!

Do you have good referrals regarding deployment of consolidated edge topology maybe?
    (I've tried the Microsoft Edge Deployment document but it's a bit difficult to understand the requirement and different scenarios)

In addition, I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to have the edge server with only one network adapter with legal public address?

Thanks,

Ploni.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Don't do that, EDGE Server requires at least two NICs

You can find more info in this thread

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3712352&SiteID=57

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:23 PM
  • I agree that the Deployment documentation can be a bit confusing with all of the different scenarios.  I attempted to make things a little easier to understand in this blog: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=19

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Thanks both of you; I'm appreciating your help.

And although I'll probably be using two network adapters, I just want to know is it possible to use only one network adapter and not using the A/V feature through the EDGE server?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:17 AM
  • Apparently it is supported by not recommended

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb894627.aspx

Access EDGE

Two network adapters, one for the internal interface of the Access Edge Server and one for the external interface, are supported and recommended. A single multihomed network adapter for both the internal and external edge is also supported.

A/V EDGE

The external interface of the A/V Edge Server must have a publicly routable IP address. If an external firewall is deployed, it must not use NAT (network address translation) for this IP address. This requirement does not apply to other edge server roles.

The IP address of the internal interface of the A/V Edge Server must not have NAT applied to it. If an internal firewall is deployed, it must not use NAT for this IP address.

Two network adapters, one for the internal interface of the A/V Edge Server and one for the external interface, are supported and recommended. A single multihomed network adapter for both the internal and external edge is also supported.

But I have seen many having problems with only using one Network Adapter

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:33 AM
  •  Ploni Almony wrote:

Thanks both of you; I'm appreciating your help.

And although I'll probably be using two network adapters, I just want to know is it possible to use only one network adapter and not using the A/V feature through the EDGE server?

I've recently researched this a bit further and got some input from Microsoft and the MVP team:

https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=33

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:10 PM