Memory Mapped file - Making whole system slow RRS feed

• Question

• Unfortunately it's not my program, but I think it may be an issue for Windows also.

So this 3rd-party program is causing my Win7 64bit system to use a lot of memory via handles to memory-mapped files. Normally I would not think this to be an issue, but Windows is paging out out all of my other applications to make room for these active handles. It gets to the point that my mouse cursor has a hard time moving, everything becomes very unresponsive.

I am reporting this issue to the 3rd-party app, but I also found it strange that Windows allows an application to effectively DOS the host computer.

This is entirely based on SysInternal's RamMap reporting a lot of Active memory mapped files and they're all files that only this 3rd-party app uses. Resource Monitor reports all of this as "in use" memory, but actual reported committed memory is a small fraction of in use physical memory.

Windows reports this application consuming about 100MB of commited memory, but as soon as I close this program, total physical memory usage will drop 4GB+, assuming I let it run into those ranges. Then RampMap will report Active memory map usage down in the sub 200MB range, down from 4GB+
    • Edited by Benjie2525 Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:52 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:49 PM

Answers

• Sounds like you're on the right track taking it up with the application developer. You can also ask them here about windows memory usage.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:49 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:05 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you're on the right track taking it up with the application developer. You can also ask them here about windows memory usage.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:49 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:05 PM

Thanks for the additional resource. I am also posting the question there. Unfortunately the 3rd-party(freeware) program is taking the stance that it is a long running Microsoft issue that spans over two decades. True or not, I don't know, but I still see this as an avenue to locally Denial of Service the host, and it's not easy to track down unless you're watching memory mapped files, as physical memory consumed by memory mapped files does not list under any application.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas, I think I'll focus on getting an answer from the Windows forum since that seems more appropriate. I'll still monitor this topic for a while.

Thanks a lot, and have a great and safe weekend!

Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:34 PM