Does backup storage optimization apply to shares too? RRS feed

• Question

• I read that when backing up multiple PCs, WHS only stores one copy of a file that is duplicated across multiple PCs - for example if you have the same picture on 2 PCs, it only has to store it once in a backup, not once per PC.

Does this optimization apply to files on shares too?

I have two examples;

1) I have changed the Pictures location on my Vista Ultimate PC to point to \\Share\Photos. Vista automatically enabled offline synchronization on that, thus storing a copy of the pictures locally too. When it backs up that PC, will it know that it already has a copy of the pictures on a share, and so know that it doesn't need to take a whole new copy of it when it does a backup?

2) I have changed the Music on my Vista Home Premium PC to point to \\Share\Music. Home Premium doesn't have offline sync, so that doesn't cause another copy to be automatically created. Being a paranoid kind of beta tester though, I have another copy of my music on that PC anyway. Even when it is not doing an offline sync, does it know not to take a fresh copy?

Since the folders on WHS are protected by duplication anyay, and they are both very large, I don't want their contents backed up seperately. The answer to this question determines whether or not I turn off backup for those folders on each PC.

Thanks

Martin
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:32 PM

Answers

• Backing up computes, WHS backs up based on clusters, so there is a great savings of space for files that are duplicated across the network.  (see this post )

Shares are preserved with a different technology Drive Extender (see this post) which duplicates shared folders across one or more drives (if available).  This increases redundancy (losing one hard drive doesn't lose all your files, just the ones stored on one drive), but also decreases available storage (two files on the total drive space available).

The shares are 'backed up' automatically by drive extender, but not on a cluster by cluster basis.

Storing music locally will get backed up, and save space in the backup section, but will exist in multiple places on multiple computers... trade offs either way.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:01 PM

All replies

• Backing up computes, WHS backs up based on clusters, so there is a great savings of space for files that are duplicated across the network.  (see this post )

Shares are preserved with a different technology Drive Extender (see this post) which duplicates shared folders across one or more drives (if available).  This increases redundancy (losing one hard drive doesn't lose all your files, just the ones stored on one drive), but also decreases available storage (two files on the total drive space available).

The shares are 'backed up' automatically by drive extender, but not on a cluster by cluster basis.

Storing music locally will get backed up, and save space in the backup section, but will exist in multiple places on multiple computers... trade offs either way.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Thanks for the info. Looks like I might as well disable backups on the folders on my local PCs that contain the same files as on the shares.

Martin
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:24 PM