Windows 7 Not Genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Similar to others, I have also received the error message windows 7 is not genuine. I purchased my Toshiba laptop from Best Buy in August and started receiving the error message in December. I ran the diagnostic tool and here is what I got. Any help is appreciated!

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0x8004FE21
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070424
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4F8HK-M4P73-W8DQG
    Windows Product Key Hash: Xs1iQgVeo0C+sObJxS7eu+FuBPQ=
    Windows Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00057
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003
    ID: {91625046-B7A7-4087-A8B6-74C3B1926707}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{91625046-B7A7-4087-A8B6-74C3B1926707}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-W8DQG</PKey><PID>00359-OEM-8992687-00057</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-476205541-3524616948-4250962297</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite L655D</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Insyde Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>1.50</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20100514000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9EB83607018400F4</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>TOSQCI</OEMID><OEMTableID>TOSQCI00</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x80070424' to display the error text.
    Error: 0x80070424

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x8004FE21
    HrOnline: N/A
    HealthStatus: 0x0001000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 1:22:2011 19:07
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:
    Tampered Service: sppsvc

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MAAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAACAAAAAgABAAEAeqgWd6wXVPnGWzBlFhLqiIE/CIgwRRh5

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            TOSQCI        TOSQCI00
      FACP            TOSQCI        TOSQCI00
      HPET            TOSQCI        TOSQCI00
      BOOT            TOSQCI        TOSQCI00
      MCFG            TOSQCI        TOSQCI00
      SLIC            TOSQCI        TOSQCI00
      SSDT            AMD           POWERNOW

Sunday, January 23, 2011 12:33 AM

Answers

• Ohh, I believe I see why.

At this point your Non-Genuine issue appears to be resolved (no Tampered Services found, no strange Licensing Data errors) .  The problem now is that the OEM SLP key isn't self-activating Windows as it should and I do not believe MSE will install/validate on a non-activated Windows.

To fix this, you just need to change the Product Key to the one listed on the sticker on the side, bottom or (for some laptops) in the battery compartment of the PC. Once you have changed the key, Activate using the By Phone method and MSE should be able to install after that.

Here is the long (more details) version of what I just said above:

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)    OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)     COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Your Windows is using an OEM SLP key, but (for whatever reason) cannot see the special instructions in the computer’s motherboard and is unable to Self-Activate.

To fix the issue, you will need to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key.  The normal way to do this is to click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Change Product Key’ (located in the lower right-hand side of the window). Enter the COA SLP key and follow the instructions in the Change Product Key Wizard.

Alternate steps to change the product key

1)    Click the Start button

2)    Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3)    Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4)    Click the Next button.

5)    You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6)    It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7)    Click the Start button

8)    Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9)    Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone.

Hope this finally fixes the issue,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lasmert15 Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• I searched multiple websites and have tried a few things, like the multiple languages thing, but nothing has worked so far...
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 12:49 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:227591e5-d4d2-42eb-ab88-cb0ffe89b3fd...

Hello,

Similar to others, I have also received the error message windows 7 is not genuine. I purchased my Toshiba laptop from Best Buy in August and started receiving the error message in December. I ran the diagnostic tool and here is what I got. Any help is appreciated!

Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070424

Licensing Data-->
    On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x80070424' to display the error text.
    Error: 0x80070424

HealthStatus: 0x0001000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 1:22:2011 19:07
    Tampered Service: sppsvc

To quote Darin Smith....
    CAVEAT: I have Not seen a large number of Tampered Services with Windows 7 so I still have a limited understanding of then.  I believe it's the same as an issue seen in Vista but just with a different name, however, I have not yet been able to confirm that. The below description of a Tampered Service is based on my experience with that similar/same issue in Vista.

Background info: There are system files that when they are Run they spawn a Service (usually with the same name as the file that spawned it). In your case, the services sppsvc is a Services being modified in system memory, but the file sppsvc.exe is not modified since this file is not listed as a Tampered File.

A Tampered Service is when a Service which is running is system memory is activly being shimmed or hooked into (Modified) in an unsupported way. This is an Active tamper meaning the tamper can only occure while something is making it occure. That 'something' is another program.  That program could be a legitimate program that happens to be doing something in a way that Windows 7 does not allow. Or it could be Malware.

The resolution for this issue tends to be difficult because a) it involves you tracking down the offending program and b) there is very little I can do to help (none of my tools can tell what program is causing the tamper).

A few hints and suggestions I can provide: Run Anti-virus scans. Preferably multple times using different software.  Think back to when the issue first started, did you install any software within three day before the issue occured? Do you have any freeware/sharware software that may not be of the highest quality? Confirm all your software is Windows 7 compatible and/or has been upgraded to a compatible version. and so on.

Lastly, I also suggest trying the below steps.  The steps have been known to resolve a Tampered File, but I am just not unsure if they will as effective for a Tampered Service. The steps will not make the issue any worse.

a. System Scan. The scan will look for bad Windows files and will attempt to repair them, if possible.

1) Click the Start Button
    2) Type: cmd.exe
    3) Right-click the cmd.exe file and select 'Run as Administrator'
    4) In the CMD window, type: sfc /scannow
    5) Reboot and see if that resolves the issue.

b. Repairing Windows using System Restore:

1) Click the Start button
    2) In the Start Search field, type: System Restore and hit “Enter”
    3) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.
    4) Click the "Next" button.
    5) Reboot and see if that resolves the issue.

If you were unable to resolve the issue using the suggestions I provided above and if neither of these sets of steps resolves the issue, my only other suggestions would be either to create a (no cost) support request at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactwga or reinstall Windows.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Thank you for your help. The run CMD didn't find any issues and after I rebooted the computer I am still having the same issues. Also my computer will not let me do a system restore, whenever I click on it nothing happens.
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:23 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:9ba91264-d872-4e9a-b712-a0cb9f0ec131...
    Thank you for your help. The run CMD didn't find any issues and after I rebooted the computer I am still having the same issues. Also my computer will not let me do a system restore, whenever I click on it nothing happens.
    OK - it sounds as if you may have a couple of problems then ::(
    Please try this
    Click on Start
    In the Search box, type
    SERVICES.MSC
    and hit the Enter key
    accept the UAC prompt if you get one, and in the resulting list, look for the Software Protection Service.
    right-click on it, and select Properties.
    In Startup type, it should be set to 'Automatic (Delayed start) - if not, then reset it to that.
    click on the Log On tab, please make a note of the settings, and post back with them.
    If you had to change anything, reboot, and run another MGADiag report and post back with that as well.

--

Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Thanks again! I couldn't find anything that said software protection service, only something that said software discovery (SSDP) and Software Notification (SPP)
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:18 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:e2a464cd-fb78-4c47-a9a6-aef80992cf24...
    Thanks again! I couldn't find anything that said software protection service, only something that said software discovery (SSDP) and Software Notification (SPP)
    No wonder Windows thinks it's been tampered then!

let's double-check before we go further (and give me a chance to sleep<g>)
    Click on Start
    in the Search box type
    CMD
    right-click on the found file, and select Run as Administrator
    Approve the UAC prompt if you get one
    At the prompt type
    sc  qc  sppsvc
    and hit the Enter key
    copy the response to your reply.

at the prompt, type
    sc qc  VSS
    and hit the Enter key
    copy the response to your reply.
    (this may tell us why your System Restore isn't working)

Back in 6 hours or so :)

--

Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:15 AM
  • When I type sc  qc  sppsvc I get, The specified service does not exist as an installed service. And when I type sc qc  VSS I get the same response. Get sleep! Thanks again!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:24 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:dd70374d-da61-4186-83c8-164b70113764...
    When I type sc  qc  sppsvc I get, The specified service does not exist as an installed service. And when I type sc qc  VSS I get the same response. Get sleep! Thanks again!!!!!!!!
    Hmm - sounds as if either you have malware present, or someone has been attempting to tweak the system in a VERY unorthodox manner.
    best to check the malware aspect first....
    Download the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (www.malwarebytes.org) and install it, update it, and run a quick scan in all user profiles. Post a brief summary of the results in your reply.
    To get a full list of the installed services download ServiWin from here - 
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.zip  - unzip it, and run it (it doesn't need to be installed), and click on View>Services - create an HTML list of all Service items, and  save that (as an mht file - by default it may save to its own folder). Upload it to your SkyDrive (or other fileshare service), and post the link in your reply. We can then take a look and see if anything else is missing. In my default fully-updated installation of Ultimate, there are 142 Services installed - there may be more in yours despite the ones that have gone AWOL.

To reinstall sppsvc you need to follow the following instructions EXACTLY - otherwise mayhem may ensue (and I might get upset <g>)
    BACK UP YOUR DATA! - we are doing major system surgery here, and a backup is always handy anyway :) Once completed, let's get started:-

First check that the file itself exists (it should, since the MGADiag report hasn't complained of a file mismatch) -
    click on Start, and in the Search bar type
    sppsvc
    wait a few seconds - does a file appear at the top of the found items box? Right-click on it and select Properties, and click on the Details tab - the file version should be 6.1.7600.16385 (it hasn't changed since launch).
    Assuming the file exists, then do this... (ANY error messages other than indicated, STOP THERE and post back)
    Open an Elevated Command Prompt window (CMD>Run as Admin)
    at the prompt either copy/paste or type EXACTLY the following line complete with all spaces and capitalisation (between the ****s - I don't know how this is going to display, but it needs to go into a single line in the window, which will auto-wrap)

sc create sppsvc binPath= C:\Windows\System32\sppsvc.exe DisplayName= "Software Protection" depend= Rpcss start= delayed-auto
    hit the enter key - you should get a SUCCESS response.

Now open SERVICES.MSC
    look for the Software Protection service (if it's not there, you did it wrong!)
    right-click on it and select Properties.
    Go to the Log On tab
    Click on the 'This Account' radio button, then click on the 'Browse..' button
    Click on Advanced
    Click on Find Now
    Highlight NETWORK_SERVICE and OK out to the Log On tab
    If you click OK now, you should get an error requesting you put in the correct password
    Clear the entry from both password boxes
    Click OK
    reboot (and keep your fingers crossed<g>)

Once you've rebooted, run MGADiag again and post the report. (you will probably have an error in slmgr.vbs - but that is to be expected)

HTH! - we can tidy up the loose ends when that's completed.. Good Luck.

--

Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Here are the results of the Malware Scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5577

Windows 6.1.7600
    Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

1/23/2011 12:31:01 PM
    mbam-log-2011-01-23 (12-31-01).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
    Objects scanned: 172763
    Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 57 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    c:\Windows\Temp\iefav2304.txt (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Here is the link to my list of services:

http://cid-10d96da21bd84e57.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=10D96DA21BD84E57!121

Unfortunately, my computer won't let me back up my data, when I try it give me an error message. Similar to the other 2 services, it says this does not exist as an installed service. I will try to install the other two any way following your EXACT instructions.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:34 PM
  • I successfully installed the Software protection function and followed all of your instructions, rebooted and ran the diagnostic again, here is what I got:

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc0000022
    ID: {91625046-B7A7-4087-A8B6-74C3B1926707}(3)
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{91625046-B7A7-4087-A8B6-74C3B1926707}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-W8DQG</PKey><PID>00359-OEM-8992687-00057</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-476205541-3524616948-4250962297</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite L655D</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Insyde Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>1.50</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20100514000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9EB83607018400F4</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>TOSQCI</OEMID><OEMTableID>TOSQCI00</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1333, 5) (null): 0xC0000022

HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 1:22:2011 20:21

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MAAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAACAAAAAgABAAEAeqgWd6wXVPnGWzBlFhLqiIE/CIgwRRh5

N/A

BIOS Information:

Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:45 PM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:bc450f3f-e9b7-4679-8541-a505fe9f2580...

I successfully installed the Software protection function and followed all of your instructions, rebooted and ran the diagnostic again, here is what I got:

Licensing Data-->
    C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1333, 5) (null): 0xC0000022

We have a major step forward for mankind :)
    Now I need you to try a much more conventional fix -
    Recreate the Licensing Store
    1) Click Start button.
    2) Type: CMD.exe into the 'Search programs and files' field
    3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
    4) Type: net stop sppsvc   (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
    5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    7) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    8) Type: net start sppsvc
    9) Type: slui.exe
    10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.

Run MGADiag again, and post the report

--

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I followed your instructions, but when I go the do the last part slui.exe, I get the following error message:

An error has occurred

Code: 0xC0000022

Description: Access Denied

A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted those access rights.

I ran the diagnostic again, here is what I got:

Validation Code: 50
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->
    On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC0000022' to display the error text.
    Error: 0xC0000022

HrOnline: 0xC0000022
    Event Time Stamp: 1:23:2011 14:21

HWID Data-->

N/A

BIOS Information:

Thank you for being so patient!!!

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:38 PM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:8442b557-351e-4859-a615-4f639cb8c9f0...

I followed your instructions, but when I go the do the last part slui.exe, I get the following error message:

An error has occurred

Code: 0xC0000022

Description: Access Denied

A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted those access rights.

I ran the diagnostic again, here is what I got:

Validation Code: 50

Other data-->
    ><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite L655D</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Insyde Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>1.50</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20100514000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><

Licensing Data-->
    On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC0000022' to display the error text.

Thank you for being so patient!!!

Aw, Jeez!  :(
    ... and I thought it was going so well!
    OK - I *really* need the ServiWin report now - who knows what other services are missing?!... found the link, and got the file, but I can't see anything really amiss there that we didn't already know about. (I'll go through it again tomorrow).

The error you got was a variant on 'Access denied' - problem is there's not a lot of detail (read: None!) to go on.....

I suspect that there's other things wrong with the system as well - and it may be that this is a good time to cut your losses, and prepare for a reinstall (either a repair install, or a reformat/reinstall).

If you're prepared for a long haul then fine, it'd satisfy my curiosity to keep on working on it - but we could be talking a number of days (unless Darin can jump in with some new knowledge when he gets back from the weekend) before we even identify the exact problem tree, let alone solve it.

I need an early night - so I'll see any response tomorrow :)
    In the meantime, can you please search for the file SLUI.EXE (should be in C:\Windows\System32) and post back with as much detail as you can of the Properties, and the Security settings for it as you can - it may be that the ACLs have become corrupted - please also do the same for the sspsvc.exe file, just in case.

--

Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:38 PM
  • I don't mind trying other things, if you don't mind. As far as reinstalling windows, my laptop didn't come with any restoration cds so I'm not sure how to go about that.

For SLUI

Type of File: Application (.exe)

Description: Windows Activation Client

Size: 341 KB (349,696 bytes)

Size on disk: 344 KB (352,256 bytes)

Created: ‎Monday, ‎July ‎13, ‎2009, ‏‎7:52:11 PM

Modified: ‎Monday, ‎July ‎13, ‎2009, ‏‎9:39:45 PM

Accessed: ‎Friday, ‎March ‎26, ‎2010, ‏‎6:40:02 AM

Attributes: Read Only and Hidden both unchecked

Under the security tab

System is highlighted

Permissions for system:

Read & Execute and Read are checked under the allow column

For sspsvc.exe - nothing comes up in the search but when go to Services, it is listed...

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:10 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:9ffe44b1-9d04-4bd2-b0c9-7430571cfcca...

I don't mind trying other things, if you don't mind. As far as reinstalling windows, my laptop didn't come with any restoration cds so I'm not sure how to go about tha

For a repair install you'd need to have a 'proper' MS Win 7 disk (do you have a friend with one? - for Home Premium?)
    Most Recovery disks will only do a clean install - now would be a good time to create a recovery disk backup set if you haven't done so already - see your manual about that. (In the manual I just downloaded, it's on page 68)

I've been able to reproduce the problem here -  it means that the sppsvc configuration isn't completely correct. (I thought it would pick up the privileges automatically - it doesn't! - my bad)

Open an Elevated Command prompt again....
    COPY the following into it (use File>Paste) after the prompt (again - the bits between the ****s)
    sc privs sppsvc SeAuditPrivilege/SeChangeNotifyPrivilege/SeCreateGlobalPrivilege/SeImpersonatePrivilege
    then hit the Enter key - you should get a Success message

COPY the following into the new prompt (no-one can be expected to type this properly!)  Note that it should all go on one (wrapped) line in the prompt window!
    sc sdset D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;LCRP;;;AU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    Again, you should get a Success message

With any luck that'll fix it.
    There may be another setting to change - if you get a '0xC0000022' error in MGADiag after that - but your system is x64, and my test rig is x86, and the setting I have is supposed to be 32-bit only. Unfortunately I don't have a 64-bit install to play with (yet! - I'd have to set one up on hardware, and that'll take a while.

Run the MGADiag report, and post the results.

--

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:22 PM
  • (unless Darin can jump in with some new knowledge when he gets back from the weekend) 

Noel's knowledge of Services (and probably other things) appears to be far greater then my own. So, unfortunetly, I don't think any contribution on my part, would be very helpful. 

But I think I will sit in the corner and watch and see if I can learn something.

Darin MS
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:55 PM
  • "Darin Smith MS" wrote in message news:7df2ce4b-79db-4f58-af75-35bc592cdc4d...
    (unless Darin can jump in with some new knowledge when he gets back from the weekend) 

Noel's knowledge of Services (and probably other things) appears to be far greater then my own. So, unfortunetly, I don't think any contribution on my part, would be very helpful. 

But I think I will sit in the corner and watch and see if I can learn something.

Darin MS

Hehe! - you just wanna sit and grin (and say 'I told you so'!) when I fall flat on my face! <g>
    We're all learning something here - which is the way that forums should work.
    I'm just grateful that the OP has given me an excuse, and the encouragement, to play <vbeg>
    Worse comes to worst, the OP isn't any worse off than presently, and he has a good handle on things if/when he goes to MS Support (we'll conveniently ignore the possibility of me screwing the system so badly that it won't boot at all!!)

--

Monday, January 24, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Thanks guys! I am at work now and won't be home until late, I will try your latest suggestions before bed tonight.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:19 PM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:bf3e0155-739a-4675-9ef5-b409986175e4...
    Thanks guys! I am at work now and won't be home until late, I will try your latest suggestions before bed tonight.

I might be awake again by that time <g>
    Good Luck!

--

Monday, January 24, 2011 9:39 PM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:bf3e0155-739a-4675-9ef5-b409986175e4...
    Thanks guys! I am at work now and won't be home until late, I will try your latest suggestions before bed tonight.

Oh - BTW - if you still get a error 0xC0000022 after that little lot, then try the following command....

sc sidtype sppsvc UNRESTRICTED

- although it states in the Help files that this type only applies in 32-bit, it's still present in x64 (as I've been informed by a friend), and was the thing that tipped the scales when I reinstalled sppsvc in my 32-bit machine.

Good Luck - again.

--

Monday, January 24, 2011 9:52 PM

• "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:9ffe44b1-9d04-4bd2-b0c9-7430571cfcca ...

I don't mind trying other things, if you don't mind. As far as reinstalling windows, my laptop didn't come with any restoration cds so I'm not sure how to go about tha

For a repair install you'd need to have a 'proper' MS Win 7 disk (do you have a friend with one? - for Home Premium?)
    Most Recovery disks will only do a clean install - now would be a good time to create a recovery disk backup set if you haven't done so already - see your manual about that. (In the manual I just downloaded, it's on page 68)

I've been able to reproduce the problem here -  it means that the sppsvc configuration isn't completely correct. (I thought it would pick up the privileges automatically - it doesn't! - my bad)

COPY the following into it (use File>Paste) after the prompt (again - the bits between the ****s)
    sc privs sppsvc SeAuditPrivilege/SeChangeNotifyPrivilege/SeCreateGlobalPrivilege/SeImpersonatePrivilege

COPY the following into the new prompt (no-one can be expected to type this properly!)  Note that it should all go on one (wrapped) line in the prompt window!
    sc sdset D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;LCRP;;;AU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)

There may be another setting to change - if you get a '0xC0000022' error in MGADiag after that - but your system is x64, and my test rig is x86, and the setting I have is supposed to be 32-bit only. Unfortunately I don't have a 64-bit install to play with (yet! - I'd have to set one up on hardware, and that'll take a while.

--

Okay did this, got success after the first copy/paste. After the second long strange copy paste I get the following message:

C:\windows\system32>sc sdset D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOC
    RSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;LCRP;;;AU)S:(
    AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    DESCRIPTION:
            Sets a service's security descriptor
    USAGE:
            sc <server> sdset <service name> <SD in SDDL format>

C:\windows\system32>

Here is what I get when I run MGAdiag:

TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: LgAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAABAAAAAgABAAEAeqgWd6wXVPnGWzBlFhLqiAiIMEUYeQ==

N/A

BIOS Information:

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:47 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:bf3e0155-739a-4675-9ef5-b409986175e4 ...

Oh - BTW - if you still get a error 0xC0000022 after that little lot, then try the following command....

- although it states in the Help files that this type only applies in 32-bit, it's still present in x64 (as I've been informed by a friend), and was the thing that tipped the scales when I reinstalled sppsvc in my 32-bit machine.

Good Luck - again.

--

Did this and got SUCCESS message, here is the new MGADiag:

Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: d2c04e90-c3dd-4260-b0f3-f845f5d27d64
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00359-00178-926-800057-02-1033-7600.0000-0242011
    Installation ID: 011886381550741371182582353910489552145204220663271372
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: W8DQG
    License Status: Initial grace period
    Time remaining: 43200 minute(s) (30 day(s))
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 2
    Trusted time: 1/24/2011 10:54:14 PM

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: LgAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAABAAAAAgABAAEAeqgWd6wXVPnGWzBlFhLqiAiIMEUYeQ==

N/A

BIOS Information:

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:54 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:edef0ec9-3a01-454e-9124-6d0407d0675c...

"Lasmert15" wrote in message news:9ffe44b1-9d04-4bd2-b0c9-7430571cfcca ...

--

Okay did this, got success after the first copy/paste. After the second long strange copy paste I get the following message:

C:\windows\system32>sc sdset D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOC
    RSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;LCRP;;;AU)S:(
    AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    DESCRIPTION:
            Sets a service's security descriptor
    USAGE:
            sc <server> sdset <service name> <SD in SDDL format>

C:\windows\system32>

Here is what I get when I run MGAdiag:

Licensing Data-->

Oh B*gg$er!
    sorry - a typo and brain-fatigue got in the way!
    That should have read

sc sdset sppsvc D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;LCRP;;;AU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    (again - should paste into a single line!)

Sorry 'bout that!

--

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:43 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:445622d9-1382-4b77-8fbf-3a9c793ddf2d...
    "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:bf3e0155-739a-4675-9ef5-b409986175e4 ...

Good Luck - again.

--

Did this and got SUCCESS message, here is the new MGADiag:

See my other post - sorry again :(

--

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:45 AM
  • I  pasted the new code and got SUCCESS. It also "passed validation". However it would let me install Microsoft Essentials. I get an error message 0x80070643.

Here is the new diagnostic:

TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Licensing Data-->

Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
    Activation ID: d2c04e90-c3dd-4260-b0f3-f845f5d27d64
    Extended PID: 00359-00178-926-800057-02-1033-7600.0000-0242011
    Installation ID: 011886381550741371182582353910489552145204220663271372
    Partial Product Key: W8DQG
    License Status: Initial grace period
    Time remaining: 42720 minute(s) (29 day(s))
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 2
    Trusted time: 1/25/2011 7:08:13 AM

HrOnline: 0x00000000
    Event Time Stamp: 1:24:2011 23:17

HWID Data-->

N/A

BIOS Information:

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Ohh, I believe I see why.

At this point your Non-Genuine issue appears to be resolved (no Tampered Services found, no strange Licensing Data errors) .  The problem now is that the OEM SLP key isn't self-activating Windows as it should and I do not believe MSE will install/validate on a non-activated Windows.

To fix this, you just need to change the Product Key to the one listed on the sticker on the side, bottom or (for some laptops) in the battery compartment of the PC. Once you have changed the key, Activate using the By Phone method and MSE should be able to install after that.

Here is the long (more details) version of what I just said above:

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)    OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)     COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Your Windows is using an OEM SLP key, but (for whatever reason) cannot see the special instructions in the computer’s motherboard and is unable to Self-Activate.

To fix the issue, you will need to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key.  The normal way to do this is to click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Change Product Key’ (located in the lower right-hand side of the window). Enter the COA SLP key and follow the instructions in the Change Product Key Wizard.

Alternate steps to change the product key

1)    Click the Start button

2)    Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3)    Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4)    Click the Next button.

5)    You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6)    It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7)    Click the Start button

8)    Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9)    Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone.

Hope this finally fixes the issue,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lasmert15 Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:49 PM
  • "Darin Smith MS" wrote in message news:5da6ee30-bdd2-43cc-94a5-377feca36218...

Ohh, I believe I see why.

Darin MS

(there's some very strange HTML in that post, Darin!)

I do love it when a plan comes together - hopefully, your adjustment will allow a complete resolution of the initial problem.
     I've certainly learnt a lot from this, and it's been enjoyable (if at times VERY frustrating - Win7 in a VM is not necessarily a good option) doing the learning.

I just hope that we hear a final "GOTCHA!" from the OP before we sign off.

--

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:32 PM

• (there's some very strange HTML in that post, Darin!)

Ya, the forums doesn't handle Numbered Lists and Bullet Points, pasted from Word, very well.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:49 PM
  • "Darin Smith MS" wrote in message news:5baee931-c575-4218-8797-465dfd9978c6...

(there's some very strange HTML in that post, Darin!)

Ya, the forums doesn't handle Numbered Lists and Bullet Points, pasted from Word, very well.

Darin MS

Funny, that - they seem to do it OK from Windows Mail <vbeg>
    (but then, I try to keep any HTML in any of mu posts to a minimum, so that things don't get the chance to break)
    Word's handling of HTML is legend - and not for good reasons :)
    you might want to try Outlook?

--

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Hello ALL!

This did fix my initial problem, thank you sooooo much! Microsoft Essential is still giving me an error message...not sure what to do about that. I put in a ticket on the website for help.

Thanks again!!!!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:22 AM
  • "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:d90de993-1af7-4bbd-86c4-17264d257c30...

Hello ALL!

This did fix my initial problem, thank you sooooo much! Microsoft Essential is still giving me an error message...not sure what to do about that. I put in a ticket on the website for help.

Thanks again!!!!

You're welcome - sorry about the false starts, but we got there in the end!
    (Now for me to try and put that all together into something more coherent <g>)

Good Luck - and don't forget to fix System Restore (VSS) as well!

--

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:26 AM
  • "Noel D Paton" wrote in message news:078ba3aa-ce9e-4df7-8db1-65d1c3350f91...
    "Lasmert15" wrote in message news:d90de993-1af7-4bbd-86c4-17264d257c30...

Hello ALL!

Thanks again!!!!

You're welcome - sorry about the false starts, but we got there in the end!
    (Now for me to try and put that all together into something more coherent <g>)

Good Luck - and don't forget to fix System Restore (VSS) as well!

--

Talking about VSS - if you want a quick fix for it, email me at ngsATcrashfixpcDOTcoDOTuk (make the obvious changes), and I'll mail you a two-click reinstallation <g>

--

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Also getting a message that Windows is not genuine.

This is a corporate laptop that has been around for a while and now I have it.

I ran the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool and copied the report:

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4THM3-74PDB-4P2KH
    Windows Product Key Hash: 88kCx56CIRkBJG3+gKpBHkCTqAA=
    Windows Product ID: 00371-OEM-8992671-00137
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048
    ID: {5E1A577D-F8F6-49F2-8041-006836AB9CDB}(1)
    Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.111118-2330
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:

Vista WgaER Data-->

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\npwatweb.dll[7.1.7600.16395], Hr = 0x80096010

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{5E1A577D-F8F6-49F2-8041-006836AB9CDB}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4P2KH</PKey><PID>00371-OEM-8992671-00137</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-326845871-2340446866-2558774042</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite Pro L450</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>V1.50</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20100506000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>52B83607018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>TOSCPL</OEMID><OEMTableID>TOSCPL00</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>71770DD278EC500</Val><Hash>FnW828ldT1FlxTrjfPnWPEdWDUY=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-3477095-57152</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->

Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition
    Activation ID: 50e329f7-a5fa-46b2-85fd-f224e5da7764
    Extended PID: 00371-00178-926-700137-02-1033-7600.0000-3372009
    Installation ID: 005166193760233624415956474745527484454683620335304974
    Partial Product Key: 4P2KH
    License Status: Licensed
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 3/15/2012 9:53:09 AM

HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000004
    Event Time Stamp: 3:15:2012 09:05
    Tampered File: %systemroot%\system32\wat\npwatweb.dll

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MAAAAAIAAQABAAIAAAABAAAAAgABAAEAeqi6CRFysGzaegCaCLhsWtomkqIKZEbK

N/A

BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   PTLTD     APIC 
      FACP   TOSCPL  CRESTLNE
      HPET   INTEL   CRESTLNE
      BOOT   PTLTD   $SBFTBL$
      MCFG   INTEL   CRESTLNE
      SLIC   TOSCPL  TOSCPL00
      OSFR   TOSHIB  A+2nd ID
      SSDT   BrtRef  DD01BRT
      SSDT   BrtRef  DD01BRT

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Please observe announcement 2 at the top of this forum page and post in your own thread.

Most Non-Genuine issue look the same regardless of the true underlying cause. So to help minimize the confusion caused by troubleshooting multiple different issues, we ask that all users create their own thread for thier own specific issue.

In other words, please do not post "Me Too" messages in other people's threads.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:39 PM
    Answerer