Backup of Shares Data RRS feed

• Question

• I want to copy my music and photos to a USB drive and then keep that drive offsite. Do I understand the procedure correctly?

Plug the drive into a USB port on the EX470.
    Tell the WHS Console to NOT add that drive to the storage pool.
    Do a Remote Desktop Connection to the EX470.
    Start Windows Explorer on the EX470.
    Navigate down to Shares on Drive D: and then right-click on (for example) Music & select Copy.
    Navigate to whatever drive letter is assigned to the USB drive & Paste.
    Remove the USB drive once copying is complete.

O.K.?

Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:49 AM

Answers

• The procedure (assuming you have installed Power Pack 1) is:
    • Connect an external drive to your server.
    • Start  the Console.
    • Choose to add the drive to your server.
    • You will be given the option of using it as additional storage in the pool,. or using it as a backup drive. Choose to use it as a backup drive.
    • Complete the add a drive wizard.
    To back up your server go to the Computers & Backup tab. Your server is now listed as available to be backed up. You can choose which folders to back up, and you can choose which drive to use (if you have multiple backup drives).

The Console help file also has some information about this.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:03 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• The procedure (assuming you have installed Power Pack 1) is:
    • Start  the Console.
    • You will be given the option of using it as additional storage in the pool,. or using it as a backup drive. Choose to use it as a backup drive.
    To back up your server go to the Computers & Backup tab. Your server is now listed as available to be backed up. You can choose which folders to back up, and you can choose which drive to use (if you have multiple backup drives).

• Marked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:03 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Wow, that sounds easier than my way. Thanks, Ken!
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:26 PM
  • The help files are just chock full of strange and useful tidbits of information, aren't they? :)
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

The procedure (assuming you have installed Power Pack 1) is:

• Start  the Console.

One more question...do I have to tell the Console I'm removing the drive after the backup is complete? Or can I just pull out the USB cable?
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:28 PM
  • You tell the console you're removing the drive, and whether you're doing so temporarily (if you'll reconnect the drive at a later date for more backups) or permanently.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Along these same lines, is there a reason why WHS will not let me back up a large share folder scross multiple drives?  When I try to do this, it only lets me backup to one drive and when the drive becomes full, I get an error message and it quits.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 1:38 PM
  • All I can tell you is that at this time WHS is unable to span drives when backing up a share. I can't say why, other than that it was a design decision.

If you have more than about 1.3 TB (the 1.5 TB drives available today will hold about 1.3 TB as Windows counts drive sizes) in a single share, and you want to back it up to external media, your choices are limited to creating multiple shares and splitting the files up among them, then backing up each share one at a time, or "rolling your own solution" using a tool such as robocopy.

Friday, December 5, 2008 4:22 PM