Free space not correct (too little) shown on client RRS feed

• Question

• Dear fellow WHS users,

when I start the WHS console i can see there is still 800 GB free yet.
    The Windows Home Server Console shows storage correctly.

On any client I see (on any share) only 45 GB free space left,
    and a total size of 445 GB (size of first disk is 500 GB).
    Oh, also when I look on WHS server itself and look with File explorer I see (as on the client)
    a Data D: disk of Total size 445 GB and 45 GB Free space.

So, now i happen to want to copy 90 GB, and the client tells me there is not enough free space.
    Very annoying, knowing there is enough space, but not being able to copy.

Anyone familiar with this ?

Kind regards, Ad
    WHS owner
    • Edited by AdWeterings Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:37 PM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What you see is correct as it's all the space free, however what the actual Client sees is just the free space on the D: partition of the Home Server where your data - in effect - has to land before being transfered to it's "final resting place".

I believe that the WHS Team are looking into ways round this, but in the interim, why not just copy in lumps and then allow these to be re-located before the next lump.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What you see is correct as it's all the space free, however what the actual Client sees is just the free space on the D: partition of the Home Server where your data - in effect - has to land before being transfered to it's "final resting place".

I believe that the WHS Team are looking into ways round this, but in the interim, why not just copy in lumps and then allow these to be re-located before the next lump.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Thnx. wil upload smaller chunks.
    WHS owner
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:57 PM
  • AdWeterings said:

Dear fellow WHS users,

when I start the WHS console i can see there is still 800 GB free yet.
    The Windows Home Server Console shows storage correctly.

On any client I see (on any share) only 45 GB free space left,
    and a total size of 445 GB (size of first disk is 500 GB).
    Oh, also when I look on WHS server itself and look with File explorer I see (as on the client)
    a Data D: disk of Total size 445 GB and 45 GB Free space.

So, now i happen to want to copy 90 GB, and the client tells me there is not enough free space.
    Very annoying, knowing there is enough space, but not being able to copy.

Anyone familiar with this ?

Kind regards, Ad

WHS owner

You can also try using Theo van Elsberg's tool, LZreallocator.  Other people have used it to "force" the data from the primary drive to a secondary drive.  You can find the link to download it on page 5 of Drive Extender Not Migrating Data.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:59 PM