New WHS - Doesn't Do What I Bought It For :( RRS feed

• Question

• Just picked up a new HP EX485 for two (what I thought would be) very simple things:

1. Backup/Sync my Documents, Music, Video, Pictures folders to WHS.

- The media collector add-in from HP claims to do this...but because the physical location of my 'My Music', 'My Video', and 'My Pictures' folder is on a separate HD in my PC, it's not backing them up. At least that's the only reason I can think of it not doing so. I have pointed Vista to their location as the main location so that clicking 'My Music' from Start opens up 'D:\Music' instead of the predesignated folder...but no dice.
    - There has GOT to be some kind of folder sync add-in for WHS...but I can't find it! From the main WHS page, they point you to Keepvault and advertise it to do just that...except the keepvault page only shows me subscription prices for online backup. I do not want online backup.
    - Does this exist: A program that runs on my WHS and syncs the folders I designate from my Vista PC?

2. Stream Media Remotely

- The HP software allows me to stream music and pictures, but I need to stream video to a remote PC. I have twonky installed, but I do not know how to remotely access it.

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Windows Home Server is performing backups on disk level, so that you can restore files, folders, volumes and entire disks from the backup.
    This is not the same as copying the content of single folders on your PC to shared folders on your server.
    You have a few options to do this: Redirecting folders like My Documents to a shared folder (i.e. \\server\users\yourusername). Using a tool like Microsoft SyncToy to synchronize local folders with shared folders on the server.

Plese explain, what do you mean with streaming remotely? Within your network to another PC or via Internet?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:11 PM
  • You may want to look into a solution such as Sync Toy, robocopy, etc. for syncing files to your server. The HP Mediasmart Server synchronization tool is wired down to expect the media folders to be in the standard locations, I believe, so you will probably not be able to change that functionality. For example, I use robocopy to sync my iTunes media to my HP Mediasmart Server, because the HP tool doesn't fit my workflow.

As for twonky, are you saying you need to stream to a PC that's not connected to your home network (i.e. over the Internet)? I think twonky can do that, but you would have to consult their documentation for specifics.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:17 PM
  •  Thanks for the suggestions, but I am well aware of the client side options that exist out there for syncing, Synctoy, etc. I have used a NAS for several years using that exact solution. But that's not what I'm looking for here and it's not why I bought the WHS.

I'm looking for my WHS to do my automation and syncing--not my PC. Otherwise, what's the difference I'm this $600 WHS and my $150 NAS? If Vista does my syncing--nothing. Honestly I'm a bit shocked that there's not an obvious solution or, even more-so, a standard feature that does this exact thing. In the end, I will likely return the WHS and save several hundred bucks since it does nothing a standard NAS won't do for my needs.

As for streaming, I'll look into the Twonky documentation for help, but yes, I am looking to stream video accross the internet.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:17 PM
  •  
    Stangs55 said:

Otherwise, what's the difference I'm this $600 WHS and my $150 NAS? If Vista does my syncing--nothing. Honestly I'm a bit shocked that there's not an obvious solution or, even more-so, a standard feature that does this exact thing. In the end, I will likely return the WHS and save several hundred bucks since it does nothing a standard NAS won't do for my needs.

seems you have not read the product information that carefully before purchasing.
    But differences between a NAS and Windows Home Server are (without being complete):
    • fully automated client backups with the ability to do a bare metal restore in case of a harddisk failure
    • remote access from the Internet via an own dynamic DNS domain including certificate
    • transparent addition of more disks to íncrease the available storage space
    • a user interface, which usually can also be handled by non IT Pro
    • Windows compatibility (regarding drivers and applications)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:51 PM
  • If the automatic sync is looking for certain folders maybe you could setup a symbolic link / junction point.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:11 PM
  • I use windows sync toy and trigger it in the task manager on login. Works like a Champ You can build as many backups as you need and put it in share folders on the server. It is free from MS
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:33 PM