Windows error messages RRS feed

• General discussion

• Whats up with the windows error messages? They are not very helpful. If I get a error, "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program" I should have 2 more bits of information when I click more details. 1 I should have what program is currently using the file, and 2. I should have a manual override option. 

When using del in terminal and a file fails to delete the console doesn't throw a error unless you don't have permissions so you can go and use del filename it wont delete it and you wouldn't know unless you manually check. Why is this? It should check after it tries to delete and see if it actually detected and report back a error and the reason if it fails.

If I am installing a program and I get a error, "error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one." once again it should tell me WHAT program is being installed. Most of the time people get this there is no program that they know of being installed. Once again in advanced options I should have a choice of manual override if I am confident this will not break anything. 

What is the difference between run and create new task? They both seem to be very similar but Create new task is way better. Why is win+r associated with run and not create new task and is there a way to switch this? My main issue is run will only work if you have explorer running and this is not always possible if you are trying to manually do things in terminal where as create new task not only will run without explorer running but allows you to run programs in administrative mode.

Why is there no cmd to run a action as administrator? I should be able to type something in such as Admin or sudo and get full admin capabilities like under linux, bsd, and Macintosh. Having to right click on a icon and run it as administrator is a very archaic way of implementing this and really should be fixed.

Whats up with the icons? They jump all around the screen. This is especially a problem if you switch between gaming at a 5760x1080 resolution and doing work with 3 1080p monitors. The icons go nuts and end up all over and not in the same position you left them in. This is not only very annoying but makes getting work done harder. There should be a option in the right click menu to save desktop icon position at a specific resolution and windows should remember it. Nothing more complex then "save icon position".  The refresh option doesn't cut it. 

What happened to MSCONFIG. We used to be able to edit startup items directly from it. Now it just says "to manage items, use the startup section of the task manager". Well that's all great and dandy but this should either be a copy of the startup and work or they should just get rid of the tab. There is no point to having that there it just looks like leftover crud from windows 7. I really don't understand why they moved it there in the first place though... 

• Changed type Still Grey Monday, May 4, 2015 11:30 PM
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, Event ID 1500 can occur when the Windows Installer service is not working properly or another Windows Installer application is currently running, or may have created a registry key called InProgress. This key is located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer.

You can try the steps below to have a try:

1.  Open Windows Registry Editor by typing regedit.exe in Start>Run.

2.  Go to the location: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\InProgress

3.  You'll find that the value (Default)  is filled with some data. Double click to open it. Empty the contents for that value.(Please backup the value before you remove it)

4. Open Windows Services by typing services.msc in Start>Run

5.  Find out the service named Windows Installer from the list of available services. The service would be started and Startup Type will be Manual. Right-click the service, select properties and change Startup Type to Disabled. Click Apply and then OK.

6. Restart computer, after closing all the open windows.
    7. Once the system is up after restart, open Services, and change the Windows Installer Startup Type to Manual (You Disabled it in Step 5). Click Apply and then OK.
    Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:41 AM