Vailidation of my office 2000 RRS feed

• Question

•  I bought a computer several years ago and it came with Office 2000 Disks. Now I bought a new computer this year, can I install my old Office 2000 program on my new computer? If so how do I validate my copy as it predate Windows XP. I cannot afford to buy Office 2007 yet. I've tried to validate my copy with Microsoft but it says it cannot for one of several issues. I know for a fact that this is a geuine copy and not a pirated copy. But I want to install SP2 and SP3 and all the other update for office 2000.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:01 AM

Answers

• Office 2000 can indeed be installed on a computer running the Windows XP operating system.  However, the older Office 2000 is not supported by the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Program.

After installing Office 2000, make sure to download and install the important Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3 (SP3) and subsequent security updates available from the Windows Update web site.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:48 PM

All replies

• Office 2000 can indeed be installed on a computer running the Windows XP operating system.  However, the older Office 2000 is not supported by the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Program.

After installing Office 2000, make sure to download and install the important Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3 (SP3) and subsequent security updates available from the Windows Update web site.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:48 PM

•   Just to explain a little deeper, since Office 2000 is notsupported by the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Program, any time Validation would normally occure, WGA will automaticly pass the Office 2000.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, August 31, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hello jpayne1124,

You wrote, "I bought a computer several years ago and it came with Office 2000 Disks. Now I bought a new computer this year, can I install my old Office 2000 program on my new computer?"

As a general rule, computers that came with Office 2000 preinstalled from the manufacturer came with an OEM license.  OEM software has an End User Licensing Agreement that prohibits moving the software from the computer onto which it was first installed to any other computer.

To see if your Office 2000 is an OEM license, open any Office program and click on Help in the topline menu.  Click the About .... button and in the resultant window, look for the Product ID number, in the format of XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX.
     If the second set of characters is OEM, then your Office has an OEM license and is not permitted to be moved to a new computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:02 AM