Should I upgrade to RC1? RRS feed

• Question

• I have build 3790(SP2) installed. I see RC1 is now available to the public. Should I upgrade to this release? If so, shouldn't Microsoft have told us beta testers about the upgrade?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:48 PM

Answers

• In a word yes! It's got a lot of bug fixes. Be warned you need to re-install , so you need to make sure you have backups of your data. As a release candidate it has got through internal testing, and if no major issues are found by the beta testers it's be version that will be sold, hopefully this gives you an idea of how stable it should be. If you have problems with CTP build I suspect the only response you'll get is "upgrade to RC1 and see if it still occurs" (This isn't intended to be a negative remark, it's time to move on )

I'm not sure how you feel Microsoft haven't told you about the upgrade, it's all over this site, connect and most of the major tech news sites, not forgetting the e-mail they've sent out.

Gordon

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Yes, you should upgrade. Build 3790 is not the build version of Windows Home Server. It is the build number of the underlying OS. Please upgrade to RC as soon as you can, and remember that when you reinstall you will need to format all drives in the server.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:21 PM

All replies

• In a word yes! It's got a lot of bug fixes. Be warned you need to re-install , so you need to make sure you have backups of your data. As a release candidate it has got through internal testing, and if no major issues are found by the beta testers it's be version that will be sold, hopefully this gives you an idea of how stable it should be. If you have problems with CTP build I suspect the only response you'll get is "upgrade to RC1 and see if it still occurs" (This isn't intended to be a negative remark, it's time to move on )

I'm not sure how you feel Microsoft haven't told you about the upgrade, it's all over this site, connect and most of the major tech news sites, not forgetting the e-mail they've sent out.

Gordon

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Yes, you should upgrade. Build 3790 is not the build version of Windows Home Server. It is the build number of the underlying OS. Please upgrade to RC as soon as you can, and remember that when you reinstall you will need to format all drives in the server.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Thanks Tom & Gordon for your responses. I have been away for quite a while and did not get the good news. I will be upgrading this afternoon. I can say that with no interaction with my server and the CTP build for over a month it appears to be functioning without a hitch.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:31 PM