Point one folder to multiple hard drive locations RRS feed

• Question

• I read a post somewhere that you can essentially have one Videos folder, for example, and have it span onto multiple drives.  So if you have a 1TB drive and fill it up, you can continue filling up another drive.  However, when you access \\WHS\Videos you see everything from both drives.  They never explained how this was accomplished.

Is this true, and if so could someone explain how to achieve this?

Thanks

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:44 PM

All replies

• That's not possible as far as I am aware. You would need to create, for example, a Videos1 folder on the second disk but you would not be able to access that as a single share with Videos. I guess you could put both shares into a Windows 7 library.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, October 14, 2011 7:26 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I thought that as well because it seems much like DE which was taken out.  The downfall of this is that once you reach the limit of that drive you needs to add another and access with a different folder name.
    • Edited by Indy1204 Friday, October 14, 2011 7:20 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:17 PM
  • You could use D.F.S.  It is either a Role or Feature that can be installed...
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:27 PM
  • I read a post somewhere that you can essentially have one Videos folder, for example, and have it span onto multiple drives.  So if you have a 1TB drive and fill it up, you can continue filling up another drive.  However, when you access \\WHS\Videos you see everything from both drives.  They never explained how this was accomplished.

Is this true, and if so could someone explain how to achieve this?

Thanks

Spanning drives can be handled through Server Manager - Storage - Disk Management.
    There are several guides out there how to do it.
    You span them and they turn up as one big drive, you cannot fill them one at a time.

Remember though it has to be done via Remote Desktop Connection or if you attach a monitor and keyboard to do it "at the server".
    Or use an add-in like AWIECO's RemoteLauncher for the same purpose.

And spanned drives have no redundancy, if one drive fails the whole spanned set goes.

I use two spanned 2TB drives as one 3.7TB drive for the Videos folder, and backup that data to other drives.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Spanning drives can be handled through Server Manager - Storage - Disk Management. You span them and they turn up as one big drive, you cannot fill them one at a time.
    Agreed and also setting up a RAID array is possible but that's not quite what the OP asked.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:59 PM
  • And spanned drives have no redundancy, if one drive fails the whole spanned set goes.
    This bears repeating. Spanning and striping are tools you use only when the sudden loss of the drive will have no significant lasting effect on operations. So if you take a backup every couple of hours, and can always recreate changes since the last backup, go ahead. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:22 AM