Import CSV file failing RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am getting recurring failures importing a csv file of leads.

In the import wizard i have all the column headings mapped to crm fields exactly as i set them up.

On the following screen i have no issues to "unmap".

Yet every lead import fails, reason ID 0x80040328, numbr of columns does not match the header row. I have checkd that all header fields are in the wizard map view and they are all there.

I tried to delete all record but one and resaved the CSV file, when i imported this file it succeeded but showed 132 imports. There was only 1 lead in the file and all the other succesfull imports were blank.

Note: i din't change any column heading.

Any help appreciated. 

Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:53 AM

Answers

•  

i think i have it, i have a macro saving the excel file after filtering as a CSV file, but i didn't know there are a few different CSV types.

Just tried CSV MS DOS and it worked, i will tweak the auto sae feature and see if that is all it is.

If so it is not very well documneted anywhere. 

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:19 AM
  • If you don't have any joy, here are a few tricks I've picked up.

Despite the URL, the tips are for both v3 and v4.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me riff on about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Some other items I have found when importing CSV files:

Generate unique RecID data to all being imported (for matching & updating later).

Delete commas from numeric fields, check that all are numeric, no comments like “100+” or “100-150” in numeric fields.

Extract suffixes, move all “M.D., Ph.D., D.O.” etc. to the separate CRM Suffix field.

Replace any quote ( “ ) to single quote ( ‘ ) characters in Excel file, causes problems when saving Excel file in CSV format.

Add “x” end-of-record field at each Excel record. Excel can miss the end of record in CSV sometimes.

If memo notes > 2000 characters they get truncated when importing; advise user to print & save large notes.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:10 PM

All replies

•  

i think i have it, i have a macro saving the excel file after filtering as a CSV file, but i didn't know there are a few different CSV types.

Just tried CSV MS DOS and it worked, i will tweak the auto sae feature and see if that is all it is.

If so it is not very well documneted anywhere. 

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:19 AM
  • If you don't have any joy, here are a few tricks I've picked up.

Despite the URL, the tips are for both v3 and v4.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me riff on about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Some other items I have found when importing CSV files:

Generate unique RecID data to all being imported (for matching & updating later).

Delete commas from numeric fields, check that all are numeric, no comments like “100+” or “100-150” in numeric fields.

Extract suffixes, move all “M.D., Ph.D., D.O.” etc. to the separate CRM Suffix field.

Replace any quote ( “ ) to single quote ( ‘ ) characters in Excel file, causes problems when saving Excel file in CSV format.

Add “x” end-of-record field at each Excel record. Excel can miss the end of record in CSV sometimes.

If memo notes > 2000 characters they get truncated when importing; advise user to print & save large notes.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:10 PM