Onecare network backup is missing. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a two XP Pro 32 bit machines on a domain with a simple SBS file server. I have one machine on a OneCare subscription backing up to the server with no problems at all.

I set up the other machine initially with a trial version to backup to the server on a shared folder called OneCare backup and it worked fine until I tried to convert the trial over to the existing subscription . Initially I could not get the OneCare client to install as it kept asking me to install the server license first.

Microsoft support advised me to uninstall OneCare and use the clean up tool which I did. I then reinstalled OneCare logged on locally to the PC and not the domain. It installed fine. I then logged back into the domain and got the green icon in the system tray. However the backup tab does not show the network section both logged on locally and to the domain.

Both PC's are configured for individual backup. Now one PC has networking capability and the other does not . When I look at the version of software they both using the same. I have tried twice now to uninstall then use the cleanup tool and reinstall to no avail.

Can someone help me enable the network section on the backup TAB ? There must be registry keys missing but I cannot figure out which ones.

Thanks

Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:42 AM

Answers

• I think it may be a firewall issue for File and printer Sharing on the PC that you reinstalled to. SBS and the domain don't play a role as you are using OneCare client and not a client/server license. The problem is that the Share is not visible to backup on this PC.

Try the following:

Open OneCare.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:10 PM

All replies

• I think it may be a firewall issue for File and printer Sharing on the PC that you reinstalled to. SBS and the domain don't play a role as you are using OneCare client and not a client/server license. The problem is that the Share is not visible to backup on this PC.

Try the following:

Open OneCare.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I checked all of the above that youy mentioned. The firewall was set  as you asked me to do. I will contact support but since I have been to them (almost 3hrs) once before I am probably going to give up. Will probably Install nod32 and use Sync toy 2.0 for backup. It was a nice package in its previous version but boy has Onecare become way to complex especially when you have circles and servers in the mix. Complex products means time spent to repair . Time equals money

Thanks for trying

Derek

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:21 PM