remove interfering programs RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just installed windows onecare on my computer.  I had to remove Norton security.  Now it states I have to remove norton live update.  I have tried everything I know to do and still cannot get this off my comptuer.  Any suggestions?
    Monday, December 3, 2007 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi JC

You need to get in touch with Norton Support and ask for the removel tool that will remove any Norton progams left on your computer.

chuck

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:55 PM

All replies

• Hi JC

You need to get in touch with Norton Support and ask for the removel tool that will remove any Norton progams left on your computer.

chuck

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:55 PM
  • Even easier - 

Norton Removal Tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Note, you may need to reinstall OneCare after running the Norton removal tool.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:03 AM
  • In my case, I have Norton Ghost installed on my computer.  Ghost also uses LiveUpdate, and does not represent any interference with what OneCare does.  OneCare didn't care about it until recently, when (I'm guessing) an update to OneCare got pushed down to my computer.  Now it continually nags me about removing LiveUpdate.  What Microsoft needs to do is build in a mechanism that allows me to say "No, I'm not going to remove this, just shut up about it."  Because the way things are now, the OneCare icon in my system tray is constantly red - meaning that it is now useless in terms of alerting me to anything else that I should perhaps know about.

I have the same gripe about User Account Control.  If I choose to turn it off, the security center icon stays red.  Therefore I'll never be alerted to any other potential risk unless I knuckle under and turn User Account Control back on.  I can't do anything about the way User Account Control works, but I can do something about OneCare - I can remove the damned software and switch to something else!  And I will do that before I remove Ghost and LiveUpdate!

I originally signed up for OneCare because I was a Vista "early adopter" (I actually work for a Microsoft Certified Partner) and there were precious few antivirus choices when the OS was first released.  I was also attracted by the built-in backup utility.  But the lack of flexibility here really annoys me, and I'm extremely close to abandoning it.  Even the pop-up information window is condescending and annoying:  "OneCare is maintaining your PC making the following programs unnecessary..."  No - I'm maintaining my PC, and I will decide whether the programs are unnecessary, thank you very much.

As I said, I work for a Microsoft Certified Partner.  I actually like Microsoft, and think that in general, they do a pretty good job at a great many things.  OneCare, in my opinion, is not one of them.  I get the feeling that it was targeted at Joe Average Barely-Computer-Literate User who can't be trusted to make intelligent security choices, and Lord knows the world is full of folks like him.  But LiveUpdate?  Even J.A.B.C.L.U. shouldn't be bullied into removing every piece of Norton software from his computer in order to run OneCare without being constantly nagged by it.  That's going way too far.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Sid

We will pass it on to the folks upstairs to see if it can be added

chuck

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:45 PM
  •  Sid Herron wrote:

In my case, I have Norton Ghost installed on my computer.  Ghost also uses LiveUpdate, and does not represent any interference with what OneCare does.  OneCare didn't care about it until recently, when (I'm guessing) an update to OneCare got pushed down to my computer.  Now it continually nags me about removing LiveUpdate.  What Microsoft needs to do is build in a mechanism that allows me to say "No, I'm not going to remove this, just shut up about it."  Because the way things are now, the OneCare icon in my system tray is constantly red - meaning that it is now useless in terms of alerting me to anything else that I should perhaps know about.

I have the same gripe about User Account Control.  If I choose to turn it off, the security center icon stays red.  Therefore I'll never be alerted to any other potential risk unless I knuckle under and turn User Account Control back on.  I can't do anything about the way User Account Control works, but I can do something about OneCare - I can remove the damned software and switch to something else!  And I will do that before I remove Ghost and LiveUpdate!

I originally signed up for OneCare because I was a Vista "early adopter" (I actually work for a Microsoft Certified Partner) and there were precious few antivirus choices when the OS was first released.  I was also attracted by the built-in backup utility.  But the lack of flexibility here really annoys me, and I'm extremely close to abandoning it.  Even the pop-up information window is condescending and annoying:  "OneCare is maintaining your PC making the following programs unnecessary..."  No - I'm maintaining my PC, and I will decide whether the programs are unnecessary, thank you very much.

As I said, I work for a Microsoft Certified Partner.  I actually like Microsoft, and think that in general, they do a pretty good job at a great many things.  OneCare, in my opinion, is not one of them.  I get the feeling that it was targeted at Joe Average Barely-Computer-Literate User who can't be trusted to make intelligent security choices, and Lord knows the world is full of folks like him.  But LiveUpdate?  Even J.A.B.C.L.U. shouldn't be bullied into removing every piece of Norton software from his computer in order to run OneCare without being constantly nagged by it.  That's going way too far.

I can't agree with you more.  I have been complaining to OneCare since 11/15/07 and they just don't seem to care, but as you stated, my red icon means nothing until they get this fixed.  Around the end of December, I got fed up and brought this to Symantec/Norton's attention.  Maybe they can put some pressure on Microsoft?  Probably not, but it was worth a try.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:09 AM
  • I have the same issues.  This is frustrating, since overall OneCare does a good job, and doesn't seem to use as many system resources as Norton.  But I use Nortons Save and Restore because OneCare's backup and recovery options are severely limited.

I still need live update, but don't want a red OneCare icon.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:21 PM
  • I need help My live one care is red sayin i need to remove a program the Program is McaFee Secuity center well it wont uninstall from my machine so Can someone tell me how to do it i went into add/remove programs that wont remove it?? Does anybody have a website where i can remove this program thank you

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Please do!

I use Winfax Pro which also uses Live update.  I also get the message to remove Live Update.  Howver, live update doesn't interfere with Windows One Care.

I also have a bone to pick along the same lines.

On one of my machines I have Automatic Updates set to Notify but NOT to automatically download and update.  (It's a data server and I need to be there and update it manually to make sure it boots back OK and certain programs are restated)

As you know, this means I'm stuck with a red light on this machine.

There should be a way to turn off the red light in these situations as well.  Please pass this along to the powers that be as well.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:35 PM
  • I've been poking around and discovered something that might help with norton's live update issues with Live One Care. I uninstalled norton live update through my start / control panel /remove programs (just the live update). Then I downloaded Nortons Live Update 3.4 which I could only find here:   ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/3.4/ 

I didn't uninstall it through the live one care box that allows you to remove it from there because it's just more efficient to go through the Start/ Control Panel / Remove Programs area. (someone said they tried it from there and it seems to leave some things from live update (problems) behind that get mixed up in the new install.   ((or something like that there....))

I got this from a ( post posted in another post )    Smile     I installed it. Then I rebooted even though they didn't ask me. Ran live update through my norton's program....which was Ghost 12.0......it checked for updates....

....So far....So good....If live one care goes red again I'll come back here and let everyone know.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:54 AM
  • There is a removal tool for McAfee and this is a website that will tell you how to use it http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033&pf=1

J.B.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 12:21 PM
  • I thought that I would have a problem in removing Norton and all that it left behind but this is how I did it.

1. Before you do anything Download Onecare and save it to the desktop in XP or if you Have Vista it will be saved to Downloads.

2. Download the Norton removal Tool and save it to the same place as you did with the Onecare installer. You can get the tool here http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

3. In "Add and Remove Programs" section of either XP or Vista remove everything that has to do with Norton.

4. Run the Norton Removal Tool.

5. Then run Ccleaner to remove anything that is left over from Norton. To do this just click on the issues tab and anything that comes up that has to do with  Norton delete it. You can get Ccleaner here  http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Toolbar_d4191.html

Now you can install Onecare without any problems if you follow these directions. This is how I did it and apart from a few minor problems which were entirely my fault went without a hitch. Then you can relax and have a beer or coffee or whatever.   J.B.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 12:44 PM