none
Last Reply option is missing on a thread !

Question

• Here is a thread from Group Policy forum wherein Last Reply option is missing !

However, there's a reply on that thread

This is the second or the third thread (not able to find other threads) which I had seen so far with Last Reply option missing.

The view doesn't change irrespective browser, be it IE, Firefox or Chrome

Another bug ?

Regards,Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki 

Friday, June 7, 2013 11:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• I see the same thing. I don't believe I've noticed anything like this before.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:02 PM
  • This is NNTP bridge problem. I see this problem all the times with Erland's replies in T-SQL forum. Often they do not show in the forum's view, but when I open a thread, I find them there.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:34 PM
  • This is NNTP bridge problem. I see this problem all the times with Erland's replies in T-SQL forum. Often they do not show in the forum's view, but when I open a thread, I find them there.

I believe, you are correct ! However, it's the forum application which is buggy and has compatibility issue with NNTP bridge ;-)

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Sounds familiar, but I submitted it as a bug request just in case.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:53 PM
    Owner
  • Bug1250576 had been filed for this issue.

Regards, Jundan

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:21 PM
  • We got update that this issue is resolved. Please verify.

Thanks!

Regards, Jundan

Friday, June 14, 2013 3:44 PM
  • We got update that this issue is resolved. Please verify.

Thanks!

Regards, Jundan

Issue still persists.

Here's the thread URL : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/02baae5d-fe87-4b74-ad6b-eb5be127526e

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:31 AM
  • I don't think you should look at old thread to verify whether the issue has been fixed or not. The bug could be that they fail update something when a post comes in from the NNTP bridge. If they fix the bug, they will not go back and fix old threads.

As for whether I can confirm the fix, I have mixed observations. Look at this screen shot:

The most recent post in the thread "Problem with SUM() with varbinary" data is mine; I posted it a couple of minutes before this post. But you can see that Last Reply refers to someone else. What you can't see here, but which I can confirm is that the number of posts is correct. This is also true for the thread on the "Defau;lt printer".

Now look at the thread below "Best Practices - SQL Code in Application Code or not?". Here my reply is listed as the last one! (And this is also correct.)

A possible explanation for this inconsistency is that the fix has not been deployed to all servers in the web farm yet.

In any case, you should not look at old threads to verify this issue.

(And of course, this post cannot to verify that the problem is fixed. To be able to include the screen shot, I had to use the web UI.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Thanks for the elucidation Erland. I think you are correct.

Now, the new UI is only a few days away, I hope not to see these issues again :-)

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Here is one more example from http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/threads:

In both the threads "Contains Function in full text Search" and "index" (the first and last in the screen shot), my reply is the most recent. I made both replies made through the NNTP Bridge. As you see, my reply is not listed for the latter thread.

You may note a similarity to the other thread where my reply was listed correctly: it is the only reply in the thread. You may also recall that in the "Defaul;lt printer" thread there was only one reply, but which was listed. So maybe they have fixed something - but it only bites for the first reply in the thread.

Another observation: there is a delay when posting from the NNTP bridge. It takes a minute or so, before the post shows up in the thread. It takes a few more minutes until the number of replies in the thread list is updated. And it took considerably longer time until "Last reply" for the Contains thread was updated.

Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Sorry for the delay.

I will let the engineer know the issue was not fixed. Will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards, Jundan

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Since they are shutting down NNTP bridge it may be not the issue anymore. I hope Erland will continue to post somehow.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Since they are shutting down NNTP bridge it may be not the issue anymore. I hope Erland will continue to post somehow.
    Since I love helping people learning to use SQL Server I am sure that I will continue to be active in the community somewhere somehow. But if the bridge is not repaired, I doubt that it will be in the Microsoft forums. At least there is no reason why I should not make an evaluations of different web forums for SQL Server - Stackoverflow/Stackexchange, SQL Server Central, Sqlteam etc - to see which is the most convenient for me to use. The main draw of the Microsoft forums has certainly not been the UI in the past, and it seems that nor will it in the future. No, the ace for the Microsoft forums has been exactly the NNTP bridge.

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:40 AM