Migrating to 3 drives from 2 (1 system, 2 data) RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have the following setup:

- Asus M2A-VM (AMD 690G)

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 AM2 3800+ Box 65W

- Twin2X 2x1024MB DDR2, PC6400 DDR800

- 1 x 400gb and 1 x 250gb harddrives (can't remember the specs, but they are pretty good)

Basically a system that should be able to run my WHS without any problems.

However, I'm having some major performance issues which must be related to the harddrives.

Every few minutes, the system simply locks up for a small period of time - 10 or 20 seconds maybe. This affects network traffic, remote desktop and everything. I'm not able to stream video properly, or simply copy large amounts of files from the shares on the server. CPU utilization is not the problem, neither is memory.

I've googled this quite a bit, without being able to find any solutions, but I'm guessing that it might be something to do with storage rebalancing.

For this reason I've bought a new disk (and a new housing that can contain 3 disks), and I'm planning a new setup with one system disk (250gb) and two 400gb disks for storage.

I don't mind re-installing WHS, but I do however really really want to keep all my old backups.

Is there a way of exporting and importing the backups? 

And do you have any suggestions for the performance issues?

Best regards,

Kasper Hansen

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:58 AM

All replies

• Defragment once in a while?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:54 PM
  • It could be your network card driver issue, either WHS or client.  You didn't mention which is your system drive and how much total space was used; but it's a good bet that you ran out of space in your second drive and data was being written to data partition in your first drive.  Adding another drive will help by unloading data from your first drive data partition.  I encountered similar problem before, just can't remember if it was the driver or space issue.  I've never saved backups before; but typically after a fresh WHS install, I just configure backups for each client PCs and let it do full backups.  I'm doing that now.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:19 PM
  • Kasper,

You need to read the Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore, available here, which explains the procedure involved in copying off your backups from a WHS to another drive somewhere. Also, the current PP1 has the facility to export all your Shared Folders to another hard drive within your WHS.

What do your logs show on the server? If you have the Toolkit installed, it has easy access to all of them.

Colin

Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:55 PM