none
Should I apply available WHS Windows Updates? RRS feed

• Question

• I happened to notice (via RDC) that Windows Update on my HP EX470 produces a list of available updates that are not getting processed via Windows Update in the WHS Console. Couldn't figure out how to copy/paste their descriptions here, but I'd imagine you guys have the same ones.

I'm assuming, but am seeking confirmation, that the advice would be to leave those additional updates alone, and only process updates presented automatically or via the WHS Console?

Am I right in this assumption?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:07 AM

Answers

• The recommendation is that you apply your updates using the Windows Home Server console. That will apply critical updates for the product, but will not apply optional updates. You can trust that if an update actually is important for WHS, Microsoft will flag it as high priority on WU/MU, and there are some optional updates that people have found caused issues with their servers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:28 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:28 PM

All replies

• I apply ALL updates. YMMV...
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:10 AM
  • The recommendation is that you apply your updates using the Windows Home Server console. That will apply critical updates for the product, but will not apply optional updates. You can trust that if an update actually is important for WHS, Microsoft will flag it as high priority on WU/MU, and there are some optional updates that people have found caused issues with their servers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:28 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:28 PM
  • I've installed every update and my WHS is fine. Recommended or supported doesn't always cut it... :D

YMMV...
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:41 PM