Black Screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 PCs in my Mesh my (Dell XPS Vista Premium, Lenovo XP and HP Mini-Note Vista Business).  Yesterday everything worked flawlessly and I could remote desktop into all the machines.  Today when I try and access the Mini-Note I get a black screen.  It says I am connected but I can't see anything.  When I approach the machine it says I am also connected. The trouble is I only see the black screen 

I read the help files and have done everything suggested.  Restarted the PC a few times and made sure nothing was running when I tried to remote in. 

What should I do?  Anyone else have this? View Screen Capture

Should I remove it from the mesh and re-add?  If so what is the procedure. (add remove programs?)
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:53 PM

Answers

• I updated my nVidia drivers and solved the "black screen" problem. YMMV.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Hi Web Guy,

We have a report in this thread of an issue that sounds like it might be the one that you're hitting.  Unfortunately, right now this is an issue under investigation, so I don't have a workaround to offer.  If you wouldn't mind submitting a bug report and attaching your logs, we would appreciate it.

Also, if you choose to remove the device from your mesh, and uninstall the software, you do want to remove the device first (from the Devices tab on www.mesh.com, select Options, click Remove device from Live Mesh) and then uninstall the software (using Add/Remove Programs as you suggest).

To file a bug report with your logs:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Thanks,

Ben.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Web Guy,

We have a report in this thread of an issue that sounds like it might be the one that you're hitting.  Unfortunately, right now this is an issue under investigation, so I don't have a workaround to offer.  If you wouldn't mind submitting a bug report and attaching your logs, we would appreciate it.

Also, if you choose to remove the device from your mesh, and uninstall the software, you do want to remove the device first (from the Devices tab on www.mesh.com, select Options, click Remove device from Live Mesh) and then uninstall the software (using Add/Remove Programs as you suggest).

To file a bug report with your logs:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Thanks,

Ben.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Hey Ben,  thanks I'll give it a try.  (detach and reinstall) and post back findings.

Am I correct in assuming you want the log files from the PC I am having issues with, or are all the log files synched too?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Hi Web Guy,

We would like the log files from the computer that you're attempting to open a remote connection to - the one that seems to be connected, but on which the screen is just black.  Also, please gather those logs before you uninstall and reinstall. :)

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:22 PM
  • I am happy to report everything is working fine today.  I have no idea why there were problems yesterday...
    Actually this morning I tried and it failed but just now it worked perfectly.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Hi Web Guy,

I'm glad that Live Mesh is working for you today.  Should this problem reappear, though, please submit a bug report with your logs as outlined above so the team can add your information to our tracking of this issue - though I hope you don't see this problem again. :)

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Ben,

I am still having these issues on my Vista machine. I was hoping they would have been rectified with the recent update. Has there been any progress with this bug?

Thanks,
    Kevin M.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

I'm afraid this bug is still actively being looked into, and we don't have a fix or workaround yet.  I'll follow up here when progress has been made.  I'm sorry I couldn't provide better news.

Thanks for your patience,

Ben.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Did you ever open a problem report on the connect.microsoft.com site? I just got that black screen issue today when attempting to connect to my home machine (XP SP3) from my work machine (XP SP3). I've got logs I could add, if there's already a problem report open...
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Hi GuyWithDogs,

Connect Bug ID 346729 is probably the relevant one if you want to validate.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to search on the connect site, so I'd opened a new report as 346800. Just now I added a comment to 346729 pointing to the bug I'd opened.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Hi GuyWithDogs,

That works, too.  :)

Thanks for the bug report, and for linking the Connect IDs so that others can validate.

Ben.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Thanks Ben, I appreciate your response.

I'm enjoying Mesh and applaud you guys for your efforts and communications. I only wish RD would work with my main machine.

I prefer this method over using WHS' RD. I like to keep my server secure and I don't want to punch holes in my NAT nor am I a big fan of UPnP.

I will await an update! Thanks!

Kevin M.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Ben,

Any progress with the "black screen of death"? I have a Connect thread (343682) that was updated as "resolved (fixed)" on 07/15/08 but I am still having this issue. When accessing my Vista machine remotely, I get a solid black screen. The RDC is successful but I am unable to see the desktop. I've attempted connections from several computers and I get the same results.

Kevin
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I apologize for the confusion about the bug's status.  We're trying to get better about keeping people informed as to the reason for a bug's closure.  In this case the bug was marked "Closed" as a duplicate of another bug.  Fortunately, we have made progress on the primary bug.  Hopefully we'll be able to deploy the fix in the not-too-distant future.  I'll make sure to let you know when the fix is available.

Thanks for your patience,

Ben.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Ben, I appreciate the info.

Kevin M.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Anyone who is having this problem have WinVNC running in server mode on the problem machine? I was looking at my machine and noticed that I had a WinVNC video hook driver on it. I added that to my connect error report, in case it made a difference. I'd also had a work-related remote support program running, but I disabled that and rebooted, and still had problems. However, the WinVNC stuff _is_ there, and I don't really want to uninstall that at this point for other reasons ...

Just curious if this might have something to do with the problem...
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:43 AM
  •   I also have the same problem. I think the issue could be related to logmein. I use logmein on my home machine (win XP SP3) and my Laptop @ work (Vista Ultimate 64).

Strange this is that my vista machine (which also has logmein) can be viewed from home but not the other way around. I get a black screen

what gives??
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:48 PM
  • I just tried dsabling my WinVNC video hook driver (through the Device Manager), and now I can connect from my Vista machine to my XP machine! I've updated my connect report with this info.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 3:17 PM
  • I am having identical problems remote-desktopping from any external computer -- within or outside of my LAN -- to my desktop machine. The client shows a black screen upon connection; the host computer does track mouse movement, however. My desktop machine is able to successfully remote-desktop to a laptop within my LAN; the screen is fully visible.

All machines are running Windows XP SP3, Windows Firewall and AVG 8.0 antivirus. None of them are running WinVNC. The LAN is behind an Apple Airport Extreme draft-N router.

There is no apparent way to submit the bug or review existing bugs at https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh as of September 6.
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Any commonality in the video hardware and/or drivers? What does Device Manager show for those machines under Display Adapters?
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I had filed a bug on this but they keep closing it saying that it's unreproducable.............
    • Edited by zeviousone Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:10 AM spelling error
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:09 AM
  • zeviousone said:

I had filed a bug on this but they keep closing it saying that it's unreproducable.............

Yeah - mine was closed for the same reason. On mine, however, I'd found that uninstalling WinVNC made a difference. I'd added that to the bug description, so it wasn't a secret.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

We've received a few different reports of this issue, and the good news is that we should have a fix available soon - though I'm afraid I don't know exactly how soon (sorry).  If you filed a bug on this and had it marked "Closed" that's likely because we determined that your bug was a duplicate of the primary bug and we consolidated your bug with that one.  I do apologize if this was not communicated to you, though.

I hope that helps a little (at least to know that the issue has been identified and a fix is in the works).

Ben.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:29 PM
  •  

HI. I am facing same problem, before it used to work fine, after updating problems started, black screen or offline(even desktop is active). I have a laptop with Windows XP SP3 and one desktop with Windows Server 2003 R2.

Please let me know if any one have solution for it.

send me an email at kvbhaskar_dotnet@hotmail.com

Thanks Vijay.

Friday, October 17, 2008 9:16 PM
  • I have followed up with an email from our support alias; you should see something very soon.

Thanks,

Tim
    Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Friday, October 17, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Tim,

Thanks for the follow up. I know there are quite a few bugs you guys are working out but this issue has been going on since 02-03/08 with really no progress.

Ben suggested in an earlier post that this was being looked at and hopefully would be resolved soon. Most Connect tickets have been marked as resolved (I think because of duplication). I have yet to find a method to search Connect by thread number. Can you link us to Connect ticket 346729 here in the forums? I would like to follow that bug report as well as validate.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Kevin,

Connect Feedback #346729 is here.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 3:25 PM
  • I have the same problem.Once I can't uninstall the Live Mesh,maybe I should delete the device first. I'll try it today.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:54 PM
  • sudderth said:

There is no apparent way to submit the bug or review existing bugs at https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh as of September 6.

To lodge a bug send an email to lmprev@microsoft.com (following the instructions on the "sticky" on the front page. If you quote your live ID in your email to lmprev and request access to connect you will be invited to the Mesh area on connect and receive access to lodge bugs directly on Connect.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:58 AM
  • I updated my nVidia drivers and solved the "black screen" problem. YMMV.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Thanks! It does seem to be some issue related with the graphic card. I kept getting a black screen whenever trying to connect to the new computer I set up for my family. Immediately after installing the via video drivers for my motherboard, the remote desktop feature worked perfectly.

In my case, it was that I didn't even have video drivers installed, but reinstalling or updating video software might fix this issue for others.

Friday, February 27, 2009 4:06 AM
  • I had the same problem with windows explorer 8 which I installed very recently.  I discovered the solution while solving the issue of logging to gmail account which led me to a solution that worked for me.  You may try and see if it works.

1) Go to Tools

2) Choose Internet Options

3) Click on security tab

4) Click on custom level

5) Enable "Run ActiveX Control and Pulgin

6) Enable "Active Scripting" uner scripting section

7) Save the changes and try logging in again.

Hope this helps.

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:06 PM