none
Microsoft Windows 10 Black Screen Flicker/Freezing Problem

Question

• I have a gaming PC. (iBuyPower) with a intel i5 3.5ghZ and a MSI GTX 960 2GB DDR5 since I am a gamer. Last 4 days this issue has gotten worse and more consistent. 

Issue: After being on my PC 2-3 hours I notice it starting to freeze up, could be when I am browsing around, playing games or doing homework. After freezing for about 2-3 minutes and becoming extremely slow it starts to flicker a black screen I can still sometimes see the mouse icon but then it goes totally black. It has lasted longer each time with a worse effect. In the starting stages it would flicker and come back. Yesterday it flickered and then totally went black for 1-2 minutes and came back and logged me out off my user in Windows 10 bringing me back to the splash screen. Today it did it twice and one time it changed my resolution to the worst option ( and one of my screens was no longer in 'extended' set-up) since I have a dual-screen setup. I have tried multiple searches online and I am pretty good at solving issues but I have no idea what this is. If it was hardware the only thing I can think of is a GPU failure. I only bought this PC 4 months ago and it's pretty powerful. 

Here are some of the error messages I received after the flicker stops:

1. Failure to display security and shutdown options: The sign in process coulden't display security and sign-in  options when CTRL + ALT + DELETE was pressed. IF windows doesn't respond press Esc, or use the power switch to re-start.

2. C:\Users\Pavit\AppData\Micrsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2\5 - Task Manager.ink <-- The header

Message: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed create an associate in the default programs control panel.

I think this happens because when it goes black I try to click CTRL + ALT + DELETE, I Am not sure if this message can actually correlate to the problem.

I am totally confused and have no idea what to make of this screen flicker. I know Windows 10 has issues with screen flickering but this is different, freezing up prior to this happening and logging me out was not in the criteria of those other issues.

Any advice or support would be helpful, I still have warranty on this PC and if you think it's a internal issue with hardware such as GPU, RAM, CPU it is still covered for replacement. But I don't want to send it in finding out later it was just a software issue.

- Pavit

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:33 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The 'Academic Initiatives - Technical Queries' forum is for posts Related to technical / coding / programming related issues as related to Microsoft's Academic Initiatives.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl