An error in the back up service is preventing the cleanup operation. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I noticed that the PC backup is never cleaned up so that from last October all backups are shown. If I try to do manual cleanup, 10 minutes later 'An error in the back up service is preventing the cleanup operation.' is displayed.

The baup process is performed well and all PCs are backed up everyday.

Any suggestions about how to fix this?

Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:23 PM

Answers

• If you can't run a backup cleanup, probably that indicates a problem in the database. You can try repairing the database, just be aware that doing so can cause the loss of some or all backups, depending on the severity of the error.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:53 PM
  • I did the repair of the database and it completed sucessfully. However when I tried cleanup again, the same error message is displayed.

In that case, you might have to delete the entire backup database and start over (although I would start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server first).
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:12 AM

All replies

• If you can't run a backup cleanup, probably that indicates a problem in the database. You can try repairing the database, just be aware that doing so can cause the loss of some or all backups, depending on the severity of the error.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:53 PM
  • I did the repair of the database and it completed sucessfully. However when I tried cleanup again, the same error message is displayed.
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 2:21 AM

In that case, you might have to delete the entire backup database and start over (although I would start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server first).
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:12 AM