Raid Card / Reinstall Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have hard drives connected to a sata raid card, not in a raid, just connected via sata ports  If the card fails and i reconnect the drives via another card or the motherboard, will the drives show up normal or will there be problems?

Also I have WHS installed, but the install is kinda messed up, do i need to do anything to those drives to not lose the data if i try to reinstall it, or will WHS realize that the drives are part of the pool and not erase them.  Thanks

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:58 AM

Answers

• You should be able to connect your drives to a different SATA card and still have WHS rfecognize them. WHS writes a signature to the drive when you add it to the pool; that signature uniquely identifies the drive to the OS,

As for your other question, if you do a server reinstallation (this option is only available if WHS can see all of the drives in your storage pool) you won't lose any files. You'll lose OS customisations, like users, add-ins, installed software, etc.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:46 AM

All replies

• You should be able to connect your drives to a different SATA card and still have WHS rfecognize them. WHS writes a signature to the drive when you add it to the pool; that signature uniquely identifies the drive to the OS,

As for your other question, if you do a server reinstallation (this option is only available if WHS can see all of the drives in your storage pool) you won't lose any files. You'll lose OS customisations, like users, add-ins, installed software, etc.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Losing the OS stuff is fine, but if i have drives running on 2 raid cards, will i need to make sure the raid card drivers are available to whs during the add drivers part of the install?
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Yes, the RAID card drivers need to be available to WHS to see the drives.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:35 PM