Which view to use when doing ETLs from CRM RRS feed

• Question

• I want to import the acccount, contact and account-contact relationship entities. There are views with name 'FilteredContact' and 'FilteredAccount' which I wanted to use. But yesterday I read in the forum, that these views with a Filtered prefix filter the rows based on the logged-in user. Should I be using Account and Contact views directly? Would they have all the custom fields exposed?

Also, on these views, which column denotes the last modified timestamp that I can use for incremental extraction?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:13 AM

Answers

• Filtered Views are views of CRM data that use security credentials to filter results. So if you used a filtered view and called it from the current user instead of an administrative/service account, you might get back a subset of rows if they lack the security needed to see all of them. It sounds like you're using a service if you're doing incremental extraction, so as long as that service has full access to accounts/contacts you're fine.

The field for last modified is 'ModifiedOn'.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• Filtered Views are views of CRM data that use security credentials to filter results. So if you used a filtered view and called it from the current user instead of an administrative/service account, you might get back a subset of rows if they lack the security needed to see all of them. It sounds like you're using a service if you're doing incremental extraction, so as long as that service has full access to accounts/contacts you're fine.

The field for last modified is 'ModifiedOn'.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Thanks Nick for the answers.

There is a modifiedOn and modifiedonUTC. Based on my reading of the documentation, I am using modifiedOnUTC as that is considered to be more reliable where the data might be modified in different timezones. Is that correct?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Hi

You are right, if you are looking at multiple time zones, then you would like to use the UTC time. Co-ordinated Universal Time is the time standard for internet and most software applications that operate or support multi time zone. So, if you needto compare across time zones and sort as per the modified date/time in CRM, use the modifiedOnUTC.

For more detials on how CRM utilizes UTC, please see this link: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2007/05/22/date-time-values-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm.aspx

Thanks and Regards

AniMandal

http://xrmadventures.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I don't really need to compare across timezones. I need to do incremental extracts thru an ETL tool. So, I want to ensure that nothing slips thru if I use modifiedon column. Apart from that, there are no specific requirements relating to timezones. It is possible that someone sitting in another timezone can use the CRM system to update his contact details.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:28 PM