CANNOT CONNECT A WINDOWS 7 CLIENT COMPUTER TO WINDOWS HOME SERVER 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• The Error Msg is: Cannot Connect the Computer to the Server because either another Software Installation is in progress or the computer has a Restart pending. Either or Complete the Installation process, or Restart the Computer and try to Connect again.

Monday, July 4, 2011 11:07 PM

Answers

• Mike

A simple search of this forum would lead you to try this to work around the pending reboot issue unless you have already tried and failed:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Did you install a Logitech webcam by any chance?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, October 3, 2011 10:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by mike19561 Monday, October 3, 2011 10:43 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:51 PM
  • Hey thanks Phil,

I found your Answer on the Windows Home Server 2011 Forums about 1 week ago; After frantically searching for this Solution for 5 Months!

At Last my Problem is Resolved & I can Connect my Windows 7 PC to the Home Server 2011 Yea!

Next Issue = My RC 1 Candidate has just Expired! Solution = I have a newly Installed Full OEM Version! Gonna Test It Out Now!

Next Issue = How do I  Uninstall the Windows Home Server Version 1 (32 Bit) Connector Software from my Son's Win XP SP 3 Box ??

It will not uninstall from ADD/Remove Programs ??

Is there a Reg Fix for this Issue as well ??

Thanks

Mike

Monday, October 3, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• Mike

A simple search of this forum would lead you to try this to work around the pending reboot issue unless you have already tried and failed:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Did you install a Logitech webcam by any chance?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, October 3, 2011 10:43 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:51 PM
  • I have had the same problem. I have had to uninstall any anti virus software. And then remove .NET 4. I had two programs that mentioned .NET 4 to delete. If your client already has this installed remove it and then reboot. Then try again. WHS will reinstall its version of .NET 4 This worked for me on all 3 of my client machines. You may only need to remove .NET 4 but it doesn’t hurt to temporarily remove AV software.

Will be interesting to hear if this works for you.

PS don’t forget to reinstall your anti virus / software.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hey thanks Phil,

I found your Answer on the Windows Home Server 2011 Forums about 1 week ago; After frantically searching for this Solution for 5 Months!

At Last my Problem is Resolved & I can Connect my Windows 7 PC to the Home Server 2011 Yea!

Next Issue = My RC 1 Candidate has just Expired! Solution = I have a newly Installed Full OEM Version! Gonna Test It Out Now!

Next Issue = How do I  Uninstall the Windows Home Server Version 1 (32 Bit) Connector Software from my Son's Win XP SP 3 Box ??

It will not uninstall from ADD/Remove Programs ??

Is there a Reg Fix for this Issue as well ??

Thanks

Mike

Monday, October 3, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  The key you mention is not present.  I was installing Home server, but could not connect to the network due to driver for PCI bus and network controller.  Got the driver and unzipped it to a usb drive, but the installed still couldn't find it.  Finally used task manager to kill the install so I could run the .exe to install the driver.  Rebooted and everything seemed to be working, but get this error from any computer that tries to connect.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Correction; it worked!  Thought you meant to change this registry setting on the server.  Changed it on my two clients.  All is well.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Thanks, the registry edit worked. Do I need to change that value back after the install?
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:09 AM