Maybe this is the wrong forum RRS feed

• Question

• ok, now here's my question.  I'm asking here proactively because i am certain that i will have some sort of authentication problems when i do this.

Long story short, I'll be putting a new motherboard into my boss' dell over the weekend.  he has a genuine validated copy of oem xp home on the machine, which is currently in a state of disrepair. 

Q.  Ill be using the oem dell install disks to reinstall, what errors am i going to see, and how do i fix and authenticate?

thanks for your help
    Friday, August 18, 2006 8:14 AM

Answers

• Contact Dell and order a Dell replacement motherboard.  If you install a non-Dell motherboard, you really do not have a Dell computer anymore and the Dell OEM Windows XP license will no longer be valid.  If you have a further questions regarding this matter, please contact Dell support.

Welcome to Dell Support!
    http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Friday, August 18, 2006 4:13 PM

All replies

• Justin.2,

If it is just a generic OEM version of windows, you will see nothing. If it is an OEM/SLP version of windows (Dell, HP, Emachines, etc) AND you are using a motherboard that is not the exact same that was in the computer before, you will become non genuine. The reasoning for this is because the OEM/SLP versions of windows have been designed by the manufacturer to check the Hardware configuration.

Friday, August 18, 2006 2:15 PM
  • is there any way to fix this?  Because his motherboard broke that automatically means that he has to buy another version of windows?
    Friday, August 18, 2006 3:57 PM
  • Contact Dell and order a Dell replacement motherboard.  If you install a non-Dell motherboard, you really do not have a Dell computer anymore and the Dell OEM Windows XP license will no longer be valid.  If you have a further questions regarding this matter, please contact Dell support.

Welcome to Dell Support!
    http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Friday, August 18, 2006 4:13 PM
  • thanks for the help.  i figured that was the only option.  i guess he'll be buying a new version of xp
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 4:06 AM