Domain Connected Vista & WHS Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with WHS and a Vista Business laptop. The laptop is a member of a Windows domain. The laptop can connect to WHS using the console and the daily backup works but I am unable to access or copy data to WHS shares. I have placed the WHS in a workgroup that is the same name his laptops Windows domain name. I have also setup the username to be the WHS to be the same as is used on the laptop. Still no joy, by ideas please.

Thanks.
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, June 19, 2009 2:45 PM remove formatting HTML
    • Edited by Don Tan Friday, June 26, 2009 6:41 PM Fixing Thread Title bug
    Friday, June 19, 2009 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    is the password also identical?
    You could also use another user name on the WHS and store that on the client after executing the command control keymgr.dll from the Run dialog for connections to your WHS. A previously wrong stored user name/password combo in that position could also be a reason. Or the name you used on WHS is not the user name, but the display name.
    control userpasswords2 entered on the client should reveal the user name.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Hi Olaf
    I can confirm that the usernames and passwords are the same.  I will try adding another username and see if that works.  I will report back my findings.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Hi Olaf
    I can confirm that the usernames and passwords are the same.  I will try adding another username and see if that works.  I will report back my findings.

When you attempt to access the shares, is it failing on authentication?  Have you tried logging in by selecting "another account" and verifying that you're putting in the account:

<SERVERNAME>\<USER> with your password rather than <DOMAIN>\<User> which is what your system is probably defaulting to if you are logging in with your domain credentials?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:16 PM