Automatic Backup Failure RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason WHS automatic backup fails on one of my computers and says I need to run Chkdsk /f /r.  I have run Chkdsk /f /r many times on the C: and D: partitions (the two I want backed up) and it never finds an error.  Automatic backup will run successfully one time after I run Chkdsk /f /r and then it fails the second time.  It always fails on the D: partition which has next to nothing on it.  Manual backup works everytime.  The system I am having the problem on is running a Q9550 processor OverClocked to 3.8 GHz on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Motherboard under Windows 7 Home Premium if that means anything.  The message WHS displays is "The Backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot.  To resolve this problem try running Chkdsk /f /r on each of your harddrives and restart your computer."  I have screen prints of all the WHS stuff but I don't see any way to include them with this post.  Help is needed!
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:20 PM

Answers

• Thanks Olaf and Ken for the help.  I finally figured it out and submitted the problem report.  It seems like a couple of other people had a similar problem but could not repeat it.  I do not have any trouble making it repeat on multiple machines so maybe the WHS team can get to the bottom of the issue.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:59 AM

All replies

• Please check the event log of the client for more detailed errors about the failed attempt to perform a volume snapshot.
    Damaged sectors or file system corruption can be a reason. Maybe also, that some 3rd party software intercepts. Did you install the most current Windows 7 compatible mass storage controller and chipset drivers for your mainboard?
    (Chkdsk /f /r should be run from a command prompt started As Administrator.)
    Sometimes it can help, to remove and recreate the troublesome volume (after that you will have to reconfigure backup for that computer in the console).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Ken

This has been covered many times on this forum - do a search. What worked for me was running the script which re-registered the appropriale ddls.

Phil
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Just a follow up on the Backup Failure isssue.  I have three computers connected to WHS.  I never had the problem until I turned off "Wake This Computer for Backup" and stopped using Sleep in Windows.  All of a sudden when I turn on any one of the computers for a cold start in the morning I have a better than even chance of getting the Automatic Backup Failure on that computer.  As I have said, I have run ChkDsk /f/r many times on each computer and it never found any errors.  The Backup Failure always occurs on the D: partition.  I'm only backing up C: and D: on all the computers.  The Manual Backup always completes successfully.  So, it would seem that there is a software conflict that occurs during and shortly after the cold boot process has started.  I have tried putting a computer to sleep with WHS "Wake This Computer for Backup" turned off and Automatic Backup works just fine when I manually wake the computer.  WHS probably works because of the 5 minute delay to let Windows settle down before starting the backup?!  Is it possible to force the delay on a cold boot?  All of this came about because of the one computer that I have Overclocked to the point that the BIOS will not restart from the Sleep state!!  But...it do seem like the cold boot problem is an issue that WHS could (has?) addressed.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:38 PM
  • If the problem happens on volume D:, a workaround would be to move all data out and either reformat or even delete/recreate the volume.
    In case it is a problem with the volume, it should be fixed.

You have still not told us any detailed error messages from the event log. Without we can only use the crystal ball, and mine is just a bit unpolished.

Backup issues can happen due to various issues, often there is some reason, why Volume snapshots fail sometimes - the necessary components could be busy with other tasks, the volume could be too full, another application blocks the creation of volume snapshots ...

Olaf
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:34 PM
  • I forgot to mention that I deleted the D: partition and rebuilt from scratch at least once on two different systems (Vista Home Premium and Windows 7 Home Premium) and the "problem" returns as I stated above.  Just as an aside I have little or nothing on the D: partition (<5% full) so it is reltively painless to delete and rebuild the partition.  I'm pretty sure that the problem lies in the fact that I'm doing a cold boot and there is some kind of software conflict on the startup.  ONE MORE TIME - IS IT POSSIBLE TO DELAY WHS AUTOMATIC BACKUP ON A COLD BOOT LIKE IT DOES WHEN THE SYSTEM IS WOKE UP FROM THE SLEEP STATE?  I can't believe I'm the only one who has experience this issue.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Olaf,
    Why does WHS start a backup immediately after a cold boot in the morning and other times it will delay for five minutes?  It seems that whenever WHS starts a backup immediately after a cold boot the backup fails.   I have made screen dumps of all the WHS messages and the W7 event log of the latest failure.  Is there some way to send the screen dump files to you?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:03 PM
  • I almost never use a cold reboot (usually hibernate my machines), and this seems always show the message about a beginning backup 5 minutes ahead.
    My E-Mail address can be found in my profile, so if you think you want to send me some not too huge stuff, you can send it. Or put it on a own website, or grand me temporary access to an temporary account on your WHS.
    Better might be to issue a bug report on Connect, as outlined in the pinned thread on top of this forum - since such a report reaches Microsoft. (We MVPs do not work for Microsoft, but are hobbyists, who gained some experience in troubleshooting the product and use this experience to try help people like you.)
    Olaf
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Help.  I must be stupid.  I cannot find the pinned Connect whatever on the forum.  I think I have joined every Microsoft Connnect Dashboard etc. etc. and still cannot figure out how to tell Microsoft I have a problem to report/document.  Would someone please hold my hand and tell me how to "CONNECT" to the WHS team.  As you can probably tell I'm getting a little frustrated.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:05 PM
  • I.e. this thread.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:28 PM
  • I must be really am dumb.  I've been to all those places several times and I am missing something because I always end up at the $79 per phone call page.  I'm about ready to turn off WHS automatic backup and call it a day!  MSFT makes it very difficult to wade through the BS to submit a problem.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:34 PM
  • You can only submit a bug report online, not over the phone. The post Olaf has pointed you to is correct, except that the link you will click (after searching for similar feedback) is Submit it yourself and is at the bottom of the left column after your search is completed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Thanks Olaf and Ken for the help.  I finally figured it out and submitted the problem report.  It seems like a couple of other people had a similar problem but could not repeat it.  I do not have any trouble making it repeat on multiple machines so maybe the WHS team can get to the bottom of the issue.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:59 AM
  • I could have saved myself a learning experience - submitting a problem report - PP3 installed on my WHS a few days ago and the backup problems I have been complaining about went away!  It looks like the WHS development group was aware of the issue and had the fix ready to go.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 11:45 AM