WHS Installation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS on my a new custom built machine, and ran into a strange problem. When It listed the HDD's available at the start of the install and asked me to confirm I was accpting the loss of all data, I didn't immediatly realize that the drive had 2 partitions 1.) a 580GB NTFS and 2.) a 60GB FAT32. When it installed WHS, it created a 20GB OS partition (I assume that's normal) and a 560GB Data partition. The 60GB FAT32 partition was not formatted (converted to NTFS) and is not available as part of the Data partition. How can I recapture this HDD area? Is it possible to merge it with the the 560GB data partition?

Other than that, installation went very smoothly.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:36 AM

Answers

• To recover the space, you'll need to remove all partitions on the drive using e.g. the diskpart command line utility, then install Windows Home Server again. Since your current installation is new, I'd just do another new installation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:54 AM

All replies

• To recover the space, you'll need to remove all partitions on the drive using e.g. the diskpart command line utility, then install Windows Home Server again. Since your current installation is new, I'd just do another new installation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:54 AM
  • Thanks, I was afraid that was going to be the solution. Was hoping it could be accomplished without re-installing. Oh well......
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:55 AM