One Care and computer speed RRS feed

• Question

• Since using Windows Live OneCare my computer has slowed down to a crawl. It takes almost fifteen minutes after starting Windows before I can do anything. When I go to the Internet, the computer sits there for the longest time before logging on. Anytime I am doing anything, a baloon pops up and tells me I have an action to take with One Care, but when I click on the baloon and select the action, the pop-up menu then tells me my computer is fine and no action is required, but it takes me to the Microsoft page for updates. The last one took three hours and I had to abort because it was still tying to prepare the update. What gives?

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

• If you have any other firewall,antivirus or antispyware software installed please uninstall them. If you previously uninstalled another antivirus product, go to the vendor website and look for an install cleanup tool. The other possibility is there is a conflicting program installed on your computer and it may be best to contact support to identify the program and help resolve the issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:52 PM

All replies

• If you have any other firewall,antivirus or antispyware software installed please uninstall them. If you previously uninstalled another antivirus product, go to the vendor website and look for an install cleanup tool. The other possibility is there is a conflicting program installed on your computer and it may be best to contact support to identify the program and help resolve the issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Can the steps for the solution to the slow speed problem be posted here? It's a very similar problem with my computer where as soon as OneCare was installed, everything slowed down to very annoying levels. As noted above, it's slower booting up, slower starting applications, slower viewing any page on the Internet, and causes general lag time issues while using the computer.

- thanks
    Friday, August 22, 2008 10:26 AM
  • berto_s, there are no specific steps.

The most common reason is a conflict with other security software.

• remove all other security software that was/is installed and active
    • verify that no errant processes are running from a prior security suite, use the vendor's removal tool if needed

Norton Removal Tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Removal Tool - http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

If your PC is still slow with OneCare running, please contact support to have your configuration reviewed.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 1:19 PM
  • I think I figured out my problem. After installing Windows Live One Care I noticed that my computer was acting very slow. Then I checked the virus scanner and when I was having speed problems the virus scan was scanning the conputer. When I waited for it to finish, the computer speeded back up.   Now, if there was an easy way to be alerted when the scanning is going on I would very much be appreciative.

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:44 PM
  • I was not running either Norton or McAffee scanners. In the past I had Norton, but had used their utility to completely remove it. The reason for removing their service was a constant stream of trouble with their auto update service conflicting with other services.

Would it help if I dump all that's running from my registry?
    Friday, August 22, 2008 3:15 PM
  • berto_s, support is the way to go. They can review all of your support logs and determine if there is a conflict.

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:24 PM