Remove drive from storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I have just reinstalled WHS 2003.

Previous to this install I had 3 physical disks, 3 x 2tb drives. On drive 1 it had 2 paritions, 1 for the OS, one as a "working" drive where I store shared files, backups, music etc. The other 2 drives I access by going to My computer and into the drive letter M:\ and T:\. These 2 drives had folders shared to my xbox running as a media extender.

Since the reinstall, it has included the 2 drives as part of the storage pool, and I can only get to these by going through C:\fs\X\. I'd like to go back to accessing these like a normal slave drive, the only info I've found was how to remove the drives from the storage pool but wanted to move data around.

How can I take these out the storage pool without the data being moved and just left in tact? I.e. remove them from the drive extender function.

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:36 AM

All replies

• I have just reinstalled WHS 2003.

Previous to this install I had 3 physical disks, 3 x 2tb drives. On drive 1 it had 2 paritions, 1 for the OS, one as a "working" drive where I store shared files, backups, music etc. The other 2 drives I access by going to My computer and into the drive letter M:\ and T:\. These 2 drives had folders shared to my xbox running as a media extender.

Since the reinstall, it has included the 2 drives as part of the storage pool, and I can only get to these by going through C:\fs\X\. I'd like to go back to accessing these like a normal slave drive, the only info I've found was how to remove the drives from the storage pool but wanted to move data around.

How can I take these out the storage pool without the data being moved and just left in tact? I.e. remove them from the drive extender function.

You can remove the drives from your storage pool, then simply use them as you did previously. But you must allow Windows Home Server to move the data it may currently have on those drives back off it, or you could lose files currently in your shares.

Or you could create one or more shares, using the console, and allow your XBox access to that.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 27, 2011 11:46 AM
  • I have 4tb of data across 3 x 2tb drives. It would require me purchasing another drive, but I don't think I have enough Sata ports.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:30 PM