Funny Console RRS feed

• Question

• My Console trun out to be a remote desktop after an error.

Now every time i launch the console, it comes up a remote desktop, that i launch console in the remote desktop.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:16 AM

Answers

• If you logoff from the remote desktop instead of just closing the console, next time you open the console it should look like a normal console.

Dan
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:24 PM
  • The information the console conveys, and the settings it can adjust, are only available on the server. So rather than build  a custom application to remote that information, the "console" runs on the server and is remoted out to a client PC or the Remote Access web site through a Remote Desktop connection.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 1:34 AM
  • I think the problem is with a general misunderstanding as to the purpose of the console.  Your user's should NOT being using your console.  It is for you (assuming you are the admin) only.   If you give your users the password to use the console you have given them the password to have complete access to the server, and not just because the console can be used to get at the desktop. 

That password is your admin password, so they could always just Remote Desktop to the server and go nuts.

Dan
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:20 PM

All replies

• If you logoff from the remote desktop instead of just closing the console, next time you open the console it should look like a normal console.

Dan
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:24 PM
  • Thank you.

Anyway, i think it's a critical bug and should be fixed. And, why console based on a real remote desktop? It's not difficult or trouble.

Friday, August 17, 2007 12:37 AM
  • The information the console conveys, and the settings it can adjust, are only available on the server. So rather than build  a custom application to remote that information, the "console" runs on the server and is remoted out to a client PC or the Remote Access web site through a Remote Desktop connection.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 1:34 AM
  • It's O K to based on remote desktop, it's bad that user could see the remote desktop, it's really bad of my experience.

How can microsoft engineers let these happen?

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 9:07 AM
  • I think the problem is with a general misunderstanding as to the purpose of the console.  Your user's should NOT being using your console.  It is for you (assuming you are the admin) only.   If you give your users the password to use the console you have given them the password to have complete access to the server, and not just because the console can be used to get at the desktop. 

That password is your admin password, so they could always just Remote Desktop to the server and go nuts.

Dan
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:20 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The information the console conveys, and the settings it can adjust, are only available on the server. So rather than build  a custom application to remote that information, the "console" runs on the server and is remoted out to a client PC or the Remote Access web site through a Remote Desktop connection.

Yeah but that's just plain lazy and short sighted of MS IMHO. Relying on RDP is not the way to go. RDP is blocked by many companies, etc, and is bandwidth reliant.  They could have a server app that simply proxies the remote client's requests and relays that information only available on the server.  I guarantee that it can be done, even via something as simple as background web service requests using C#.NET.   I bet the remote console would be *much* more responsive due to:

a) the remote console app running directly at the client, which means the screens are generated locally instead of being sent via a rdp window, and could be rendered in 3D even in Vista (hmmm now that would be a real "wow" experience thing, having a remote client that browses your shares in 3D accelerated "rooms" like a big storehouse with many doors... Smile )

and

b)the bandwidth used would be much less than a full blown RDP session. You'd only be exchanging data that relates to anything that's changing, etc. That's all the remote console app is, is a RDP window designed to throw the pretty gui Console up in front of everything else.

Also, this probably would make it easy to have a remote app control your box from over the internet even, provided you have the proper port forwarded at the firewall, or possibly make it a lot easier for the web interface to provide you control of the server itself without having to RDP, instead doing it over SSL port right in your browser with a small activex control/browser plugin.  The end result of this would be having the ability of bypassing even the most strict firewalls entirely.  Gone would be the problem of not being able to get to your box from anywhere. Heck, make the remote app self contained, installed to a USB key as a portable app!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:46 PM
  • Speaking as a developer I think it is a brilliant implementation.  It is simple, and it is easy. 

a)  Companies blocking RDP shouldn't matter, it runs on your network not over anyone elses.  I'll use that same arguement for your case of 'bandwidth reliance' as well.

b) This implementation makes security 100x easier and also simplifies the concurrency issues as well. 

c) If you want an app that lets you 'walk' your shared folders then download and install one, it doesn't really have a place inside WHS.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:53 PM
  •  DannOh wrote:
    Speaking as a developer I think it is a brilliant implementation.  It is simple, and it is easy. 

a)  Companies blocking RDP shouldn't matter, it runs on your network not over anyone elses.  I'll use that same arguement for your case of 'bandwidth reliance' as well.

b) This implementation makes security 100x easier and also simplifies the concurrency issues as well. 

c) If you want an app that lets you 'walk' your shared folders then download and install one, it doesn't really have a place inside WHS.

If your'e going to remotely manage your server via the external "yourserver.homeserver.com" website, then yes, RDP blocking *would* matter, because you couldn't use the web ui to do it.   Heck, at work, our corporate image has something disabled and I can't even re-activate activex to even attempt an RDP using the web based console, yet I can fire up RDP directly and get to my server (because I had the foresight to forward 3389 of course).  A SSL based client like I was describing as being able to be put on a thumb drive would probably get around this kind of limitation.

The big problem with "simple and easy" is that it may not always be the best implementation, and seems to lead to some lazy programming mistakes sometimes.  As a network admin who has worked very closely with *many* different types of software developers in the past, I can attest to the fact that a lot of developers don't always want to think outside the box or expend a lot of effort into making their software compact, efficient, and very fast. They just want to: "get the code written, don't worry about optimization".  That's not the right ethic for a programmer.

In fact, I would go as far as saying (with no malice intended towards any particular devs or people here, mind you) that just because it's "simple and easy", doesn't mean you shouldn't be thinking about how secure, efficient, and reliable that "quick and easy" way really is. It's that "easy way out" methodology that gets us patch Tuesdays. Considering how it seems everything is just handed to programmers on a platter through API's, I don't think it's unreasonable to be mindful of the user experience and the bandwidth/resources required to do something.

Monday, August 27, 2007 7:59 PM
  • well I guess we will have to disagree on this implementation.  You say some programmers don't want to spend the effort on a 'compact, efficient, and very fast' piece of software.  This implementation fulfills 2 of the 3.  I'll admit it is probably not the fastest, but it is compact, it is efficient, and it is reliable. 

Monday, August 27, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Hey everyone, I just came upon this issue. Where, after I had done a remote desktop session to my WHS, then everytime I tried to use the console it would take a long time and end up remote desktop, rather than the real console.

I just FINALLY found this thread, and in my remote desktop session clicked "Start -> Logoff" and now my console works like it should. Thanks much! Smile

Anyway, I strongly suggest Microsoft adds this to the WHS knowledgebase. This is one of those things that is super frustrating and super difficult to figure out how to fix.

Thanks
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 4:18 AM