System halt (crash?) just after installing first part of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• On a previous perfect working system (Dell 9150) WHS has just completed the first step and is rebooting for the first time. It then shows the blue screen with Windows Setup, blinks a couple of times and then shows the following crash screen: click here

I switched my hard drives, installed now WHS three times, all with the same result: system halt!

Anybody some idea what this message involves?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:03 PM

Answers

• I'm not familiar with the BIOS on that PC, but you may want to configure your SATA controller to run in IDE mode if that's possible. The advantage of this is that no drivers will be required for the installation of Windows Home Server. The disadvantage is that you will be sacrificing a small amount of (theoretical, you would never see it in real life) performance.
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 4:20 AM
  • In fact, something like that did the trick! Thanks Ken!

In the BIOS of the Dell 9150 is a selection of the drive configuration in the system. It involves the SATA drives and has to do with RAID config or not. The "SATA operation" has to be set on "Combination" and not on (the default) "RAID Autodetect/AHCI" (other options are "RAID Autodetect/ATA" and "RAID On").
    Explanation from the BIOS is telling that "Combination" = SATA/PATA combination mode, which, again but strange enough, has somthing to do with IDE (?).

By selecting this, WHS installed without any problem! The only downside on this selection is that my secundary SATA ports are unavailable. On my SATA 1 and 3 (0 and 2 are configured with my two drives) I receive now "This SATA port is disabled because the system has been configured for Combination Mode". So adding a couple of extra drives would seems to be impossible.

I'm not sure if all of this is some kind of initializing fault on the WHS system interrogating part or not. I would think that the default settting ("RAID Autodetect/AHCI") can not be somthing WHS should show the Halt Screen for and should be able to work with that.

Either way, the system is working now. Again thanks for setting me on this track Ken, else I did not try this setting!

Richard

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:39 AM

All replies

• Richard, please make sure that you are supplying any required storage drivers both during the initial graphical install and at the beginning of text mode, where it prompts you to "Press F6 to load additional storage drivers". It's also possible that this is being caused by a bad DVD drive, or cables.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Thanks Ken, for your suggestions. Regretfully could neither of those help me out.

Just a run-down of the situation:
    I bought the Dell Dimension 9150 (P4 3.0GHz) 2 years ago and up till yesterday it was running XP without any problems. I bought a new (main) PC so this one I would like to setup as WHS, for which I bought a 120 days evaluation set.

I have 2 harddrives I like to use with WHS: 1 Seagate 160Gb SATA (ST3160023AS) and 1 Western Digital 160 GB SATA (WD1600JS). Besides that I use a Philips DVD/RW Combo (DVD8701). All of them are very well recognized by the BIOS and all of them where in perfect condition in action on the previous OS.

The first step of the installation of WHS is running smooth. I pass the dialog screens, enter my serial number, select OK on the fact that setup will erase all data etc. Setup continues and has formatted the drive for installation of the system and completes the copying of the installation files. After that (about 15-20 minutes later) it is ready with copying the files to my harddrive and is telling me that it will reboot the OS.

And no matter what harddrive I use, either both, just the Seagate or the WD, and all other stuff disconnected, correct cable mounting and jumper setting (master on de DVD, on (primary) IDE0 cable), etc., the same result is the case: I get the system halt screen with same error codes over and again after it rebooted and was showing me, with a couple of black screens meanwhile, the blue Windows Setup screen for a minute or so.

As you suggested, I pressed the F6 key on the blue Windows Setup screen when it presented this. I only saw that I could change the system (Single/Multi processor system with/without ACPI) and that setup could not find a floppy drive. The last one is correct, my system has no floppy drive. So maybe this could trigger the system halt?

I installed now, with all kinds of configurations possible (switched HD's) about 7-8 times and with only the same result and I am quite disappointed. I'm not really a newbee at things like this but running out of hope that this is my productselection of the month...

Thanks to anyone who could tell me what this error involves!

Richard

Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:45 AM
  • I'm not familiar with the BIOS on that PC, but you may want to configure your SATA controller to run in IDE mode if that's possible. The advantage of this is that no drivers will be required for the installation of Windows Home Server. The disadvantage is that you will be sacrificing a small amount of (theoretical, you would never see it in real life) performance.
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 4:20 AM
  • In fact, something like that did the trick! Thanks Ken!

In the BIOS of the Dell 9150 is a selection of the drive configuration in the system. It involves the SATA drives and has to do with RAID config or not. The "SATA operation" has to be set on "Combination" and not on (the default) "RAID Autodetect/AHCI" (other options are "RAID Autodetect/ATA" and "RAID On").
    Explanation from the BIOS is telling that "Combination" = SATA/PATA combination mode, which, again but strange enough, has somthing to do with IDE (?).

By selecting this, WHS installed without any problem! The only downside on this selection is that my secundary SATA ports are unavailable. On my SATA 1 and 3 (0 and 2 are configured with my two drives) I receive now "This SATA port is disabled because the system has been configured for Combination Mode". So adding a couple of extra drives would seems to be impossible.

I'm not sure if all of this is some kind of initializing fault on the WHS system interrogating part or not. I would think that the default settting ("RAID Autodetect/AHCI") can not be somthing WHS should show the Halt Screen for and should be able to work with that.

Either way, the system is working now. Again thanks for setting me on this track Ken, else I did not try this setting!

Richard

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:39 AM
  • Depending on how much spare hardware you have sitting around, you may want to have one more go at installing WHS. You'll need a floppy drive that you can hook up for the installation, though. If you decide to try again, here's what you'll need to do:
    • Find a floppy drive.
    • Get SATA storage drivers for Windows Server 2003 if available, otherwise XP. (Since it's a Dell desktop, you probably won't find the Windows Server 2003 drivers.)
    • Create an "F6 floppy" per the manufacturer's recommendations. You may have to get help from Dell on this.
    • Change the BIOS back to AHCI mode.
    • When you start the installation, at the point where you're asked about storage drivers in the initial graphical install, supply the additional drivers on the floppy, even if your drives are detected. Finish this portion of setup, right up to the first reboot.
    • Immediately after the first reboot, text-mode install for Windows Server 2003 starts up. Just after the screen changes color to blue, there's a prompt at the bottom to "Press F6" to supply additional storage drivers. Press F6 as soon as you see that prompt. (I usually start tapping F6 a little before that prompt appears, and keep doing so about 2x/second until it disappears).
    • When asked again about the storage drivers, use the drivers on the floppy again.
    • You should be able to make it the rest of the way through setup.
    The error you saw when the BIOS was set to AHCI and you didn't supply drivers is because Windows Server 2003 (the base OS on which Windows Home Server is built) doesn't have SATA drivers for your SATA controller. The install worked when you set the BIOS to PATA mode because IDE is a sort of lowest common denominator; there's an IDE driver distributed with the OS and has been for many years.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Perfect description Ken, much appreciated!

I currently have the 120 days evaluation pack installed and want to find out if this suits my needs. First impression is OK but still I’m not really satisfied while hoping to be in time when I maybe have discovered all there is to it.

When I decide to continue with WHS I reinstall the way you described. Thanks for your help and support!

Richard

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:05 AM
  • It's not essential that you do so, Richard. The performance advantage of AHCI is minimal, and likely to be masked by bottlenecks elsewhere in the system. But it would let you use all 4 SATA ports.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:11 PM
  • Ken,

Whats happening on mine is the Preliminary SATA Hard Drive was not getting detected so I went to the BIOS and changed the SATA setting from AUTODETECT / AHCI to Combination and that seemed to work. When I went back to the BIOS and changed the SATA Operation setting back to RAID AUTODETECT / AHCI (that's the default) my computer would not work again. If I leave it on combination, it wouldn't detect my second SATA hard drive.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Could you please post this as a separate question?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:45 PM