none
Changing name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Long time ago I had another account which I think the mail is no longer available to me that currently sits on "Eyal Shilony" is it possible to switch between this account and my old one without changing the actual Live ID ? I just want to change the display name to my old one because I find it more readable.

The real problem is that I don't remember the actual mail I used there but I know it's me. :)

Can you at least send me the mail I used there to this account ? so I can change it myself.

Eyal (http://shilony.net), Regards.

• Edited by Eyal Solnik Monday, January 23, 2012 2:16 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:09 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately there is a bug in the Forums that is causing your account to not work when the name is switched. It's not fixed yet so we don't have a solution for you. If you can remember your old Live IDs and switch the name yourself, then it'd work. But we can't currently switch Live IDs between profiles without the accounts breaking.

Update: Checked with the Forums team. The bug is logged and under investigation.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 11:17 PM

All replies

• I've switched the names between the two accounts. Should filter through to forums shortly.
    • Proposed as answer by Sean Jenkin Monday, January 23, 2012 10:40 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 10:40 PM
  • For anyone else reading this, you can follow similar instructions here to "file a ticket" for something like this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-request-your-email-or-live-id-changed-on-an-msdn-or-technet-profile.aspx
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:42 AM
    Owner
  • Hello,

I'm trying to sign in with my regular account and I get this error, what's wrong ?

• Edited by Eyal-Shilony Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:27 PM
    • Merged by Brent Serbus Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:12 AM dupe
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hey, thank you but now I can't really sign in to the forums I get an error and I'm not sure it's even related.

P.s. Just to be clear this is yet another account that I have and is no longer in use. :)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Looking into it. That (obviously) shouldn't be happening. :)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:46 PM
  • So it appears the change to the your profile name hasn't made it all the way downstream into forums. We are looking at why that is. In the mean time, I can swap back the names so that they are in sync with forums so you can use the account. Let me know if that'll work for you.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Still not working. :p
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:09 AM
  • I haven't changed anything yet. I wanted to know if you wanted me to swap it back.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Well, I can wait, the question is how long ? :)
    Friday, January 27, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Any updates on the problem ? are you working on it, anything ?
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Please, I don't get it!

You're asking me if I'm willing to switch back yet so far nothing is fixed nor I get an answer, what is going on ? are you working to fix it ?

• Edited by Eyal-Shilony Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:50 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:48 AM
  • I did some thinking and everything is working now.

The Problem:

Once the name was changed I couldn't sign-in to the forums and every time I tried the error above appeared but I could still access the gallery or other sections of the MSDN.

The Solution:

Accessing the account profile through the gallery or other sections of the MSDN, change the display name to something else like 'EyalxShilony' and switch back to desired name in my case 'Eyal Shilony'. ;)

EDIT: Sadly it's not really working, signing in and out and in again causes the error to occur, so it's something with my  account. :p
    • Edited by Eyal Solnik Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hello,

I've requested a name change and since then I cannot access the forums using my regular account because I get an error.

Here is the post I made but it seems like I'm writing to myself there ... please do something about it.

Friday, February 3, 2012 12:57 AM

• EDIT: Sadly it's not really working, signing in and out and in again causes the error to occur, so it's something with my  account. :p

Sean, any progress on this?

Does he need to file a ticket?

What's the issue/bug here? Is it a known bug?

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:32 AM
    Owner
  • I posted again on that other thread. We'll see if we can find the right person to take a look again. I know Sean tried a few times.

Thanks!

Friday, February 3, 2012 2:33 AM
    Owner
  • Sean and I have been working on this. The ball is in m court at this point. We can't repro the issue, but we are working on it.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Thank you guys. ;)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Guys, I'm still getting this error... is there any progress ?
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Hello,

All I wanted is changing my name, it's been two weeks and nothing's changed.

I've been posting here and at the "MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions" to no avail.

The most annoying thing in all this is that I'm feeling like I'm the ball and you guys playing ping-pong with my account; telling me that it's Microsoft's fault or that it's not in your hands does nothing good, at least to me.

I like these forums, I love the community and the experience when I'm participating, the forums are well moderated but I really think that the level of support is not as good as it can be due to the time it takes you to satisfy a basic request.

• Edited by Eyal-Shilony Friday, February 10, 2012 7:26 AM
    • Merged by Hasham NiazModerator Friday, February 10, 2012 9:59 AM Already This has been discussed in another thread also this is related to Profile Reconginition System
    Friday, February 10, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Why did you start another thread?  All that will do is complicate things.  Please use your original thread.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:53 AM
  • I'm trying to get a proper answer and it seems that everytime I'm posting here it's going unnoticed... so I feel like I have to create a new thread to change that.

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Unfortunately there is a bug in the Forums that is causing your account to not work when the name is switched. It's not fixed yet so we don't have a solution for you. If you can remember your old Live IDs and switch the name yourself, then it'd work. But we can't currently switch Live IDs between profiles without the accounts breaking.

Update: Checked with the Forums team. The bug is logged and under investigation.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 11:17 PM
  • Thank you! this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. ;)

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:06 AM
  • Hi Eyal, I am Eduardo from the Forums test team.

Are you still having this issue?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Well, currently I'm using my old display name and the problem does not occur.

I just checked and unfortunately changing the name to "Eyal Shilony" makes the problem to occur again.

• Edited by Eyal Solnik Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:01 PM
  • How can I contact you to follow up on this ofline?
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:07 AM