Activation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I've had a problem over the last couple of days with my current Windows 7 Professional installation. I've asked about this in one of the other forums and have been directed this way.

It started yesterday when I was starting up WinAVI to do some conversion work when the system suddenly asked me to activate the OS as it was under the impression that the installation was counterfeit. Now I know that it is nothing of the sort (I doubt that Amazon sells such things, especially as it was so near to the release date) so I did some investigation. One of the first things that came out of it was the WGA Diag kit which, when run, gives the following:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-997PG-GK474-M6YYB
    Windows Product Key Hash: VFrAD1YN6TpGKkxAyIq8TLjB1Fw=
    Windows Product ID: 00371-177-1814975-85328
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048
    ID: {1F694C30-54C7-497E-872F-C718B8E039D0}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1F694C30-54C7-497E-872F-C718B8E039D0}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-M6YYB</PKey><PID>00371-177-1814975-85328</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3874696669-4294062153-2402219211</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ECS</Manufacturer><Model>GeForce7050M-M</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080014 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080912000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>85BB3607018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(1333, 5) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0xC004C533
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 11:9:2010 20:03
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: NAAAAAEABAABAAEAAAACAAAAAgABAAEAeqhO+WIjmGBSbwaY9ltWt+IvJvY5ejEYhJLI9A==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            091208        APIC0922
      FACP            091208        FACP0922
      HPET            091208        OEMHPET0
      MCFG            091208        OEMMCFG
      OEMB            091208        OEMB0922
      NVHD            091208        NVHDCP
      SSDT            A M I         POWERNOW

One suggested remedy was to regenerate the tokens.dat file (stop sppsvc, rename the file to "tokens.bar", start sppsvc then cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc and wait, then reboot twice). This done, I then tried to reactivate but still got the same error, that being that the activation had come up against a problem and could not complete. The exact message reads:  "A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error code 0x80070005"

I have tried a few other things, including a full virus scan (Kaspersky 2011) which produced nothing and Sandra which refused to give a report. I even thought about trying a repair installation but, for some reason, my system refuses to do that either! A Memtest produces a clean bill of health for the memory and unplugging the backup USB drive makes no difference either.

The machine is a home built AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 4GB on an ECS M/b, two HD (one system, the other data) on a mixed network (W7, WXP, openSUSE Linux, RISC OS) through a Netgear DG834 router.

Given all this, does anyone have any ideas about what I should do next?

Ta

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:08 PM

Answers

• Just to let you know that I managed to resolve the problem. I did make a WET save but didn't need it in the end as I managed to fire up the installation disk in upgrade mode then let the system run through. The only thing it reported as being damaged at the end was the .NET 4 installation which it then had to rebuild but besides that and the 54 updates I now need to reinstal plus the rather niggling little matter of reactivating my antivirus (Kaspersky doesn't retain its licence key during an upgrade, so it seems), it has activated properly again. I just need to test all the applications and reattach the secondary drive (I know, it was a bit paranoid but I've seen system installations do things like zero secondary partitions and drives before so I didn't want to take any chances).

I'm still a little nervous about letting fly with this system for the moment until everything is tested and working and I have a backup somewhere to fall back on. Thanks for the hints, though. You were certainly more helpful than the Microsoft Customer Service person I had to deal with! Have to go now as the system is nagging me that it needs to restart to finish installing these upgrades!

Chika - MCDST (XP) / MCP (W2k)... Er... Windows 7?!?
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 15, 2010 7:26 PM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:42 PM

All replies

• "mistie710" wrote in message news:22d72d60-98db-48e2-9631-880e4a495c01...

I've had a problem over the last couple of days with my current Windows 7 Professional installation. I've asked about this in one of the other forums and have been directed this way.

It started yesterday when I was starting up WinAVI to do some conversion work when the system suddenly asked me to activate the OS as it was under the impression that the installation was counterfeit. Now I know that it is nothing of the sort (I doubt that Amazon sells such things, especially as it was so near to the release date) so I did some investigation. One of the first things that came out of it was the WGA Diag kit which, when run, gives the following:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-997PG-GK474-M6YYB
    Windows Product Key Hash: VFrAD1YN6TpGKkxAyIq8TLjB1Fw=
    Windows Product ID: 00371-177-1814975-85328
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048

One suggested remedy was to regenerate the tokens.dat file (stop sppsvc, rename the file to "tokens.bar", start sppsvc then cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc and wait, then reboot twice). This done, I then tried to reactivate but still got the same error, that being that the activation had come up against a problem and could not complete. The exact message reads:  "A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error code 0x80070005"

Ta

Hi again - thanks to that last para above, we have another clue - look here - http://support.microsoft..com/kb/2008385

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:31 PM
  • We must stop meeting like this!

A nice idea, but I have already seen this too. There is no group policy in effect (the system resides on what is effectively a "workgroup" style setup and is the only W7 machine here; the WXP machine rarely ventures on these days due to extreme old age) and the registry key suggested as a possible culprit is already set as the KB article asks. I have also tried a fix involving the subinacl tool which has been known to work, so another article says, but the access denied error stops that from working as well. Seems like I am running out of options and rebuilding could be lengthy (though thankfully my data is safe, either on other drives or on the openSUSE system which serves as a server for much of what I have).

The only other thing that comes to mind is what I have installed lately, and your earlier mention of overzealous malware kit brought to mind that I recently updated CCleaner to V3.00. It's a tool I use on a lot of computers and it rarely steers me wrong but the jump in version numbers makes me wonder (the previous version was something like 2.35 - a sure sign that something fairly major has been changed, IMHO).

As it is, it may be time for me to start collecting reg numbers and dusting off the last backup I did (if that is any good, that is!)

For the record, I got a standard reply from the Microsoft support ticket I raised which basically amounts to "WGA is a bloody miracle and here's the proof, so get activating already if you really do have a genuine article".

Found my old Windows 95 CD the other day. Tempting.... :)

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:04 PM
  • "mistie710" wrote in message news:940370c0-525a-4c91-9b0f-76cb204ec351...

I still have an install of Windows 2 somewhere in a VM :)
    I'll respond to the rest of your post when I have reduced my blood-alcohol level a few points :D

--

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:16 PM
  • "mistie710" wrote in message news:940370c0-525a-4c91-9b0f-76cb204ec351...

We must stop meeting like this!

A nice idea, but I have already seen this too. There is no group policy in effect (the system resides on what is effectively a "workgroup" style setup and is the only W7 machine here; the WXP machine rarely ventures on these days due to extreme old age) and the registry key suggested as a possible culprit is already set as the KB article asks. I have also tried a fix involving the subinacl tool which has been known to work, so another article says, but the access denied error stops that from working as well. Seems like I am running out of options and rebuilding could be lengthy (though thankfully my data is safe, either on other drives or on the openSUSE system which serves as a server for much of what I have).

The only other thing that comes to mind is what I have installed lately, and your earlier mention of overzealous malware kit brought to mind that I recently updated CCleaner to V3.00. It's a tool I use on a lot of computers and it rarely steers me wrong but the jump in version numbers makes me wonder (the previous version was something like 2.35 - a sure sign that something fairly major has been changed, IMHO).

As it is, it may be time for me to start collecting reg numbers and dusting off the last backup I did (if that is any good, that is!)

For the record, I got a standard reply from the Microsoft support ticket I raised which basically amounts to "WGA is a bloody miracle and here's the proof, so get activating already if you really do have a genuine article".

OK - in more depth :)
    CCleaner is a great little app, but like all registry cleaners, that part of it is pretty much snake-oil, and should be treated with extreme caution. IMHO, registry cleaners should only be used by people who have enough knowledge not to need them :)
    You could try restoring any registry changes made sine prior to the problem appearing (note that it can take up to 3 days before the system notices such problems, so include that in your calculations).
    You could shorten the process of a reinstall by using WET to transfer settings and data to the new install (I don't think it'll do the dirty on you and restore the problem - but make an image of the system first, just in case).

HTH

--

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Just to let you know that I managed to resolve the problem. I did make a WET save but didn't need it in the end as I managed to fire up the installation disk in upgrade mode then let the system run through. The only thing it reported as being damaged at the end was the .NET 4 installation which it then had to rebuild but besides that and the 54 updates I now need to reinstal plus the rather niggling little matter of reactivating my antivirus (Kaspersky doesn't retain its licence key during an upgrade, so it seems), it has activated properly again. I just need to test all the applications and reattach the secondary drive (I know, it was a bit paranoid but I've seen system installations do things like zero secondary partitions and drives before so I didn't want to take any chances).

I'm still a little nervous about letting fly with this system for the moment until everything is tested and working and I have a backup somewhere to fall back on. Thanks for the hints, though. You were certainly more helpful than the Microsoft Customer Service person I had to deal with! Have to go now as the system is nagging me that it needs to restart to finish installing these upgrades!

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 15, 2010 7:26 PM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:42 PM
  • "mistie710" wrote in message news:5db3c8e1-362e-49db-9c7a-badd5d1a1474...

Just to let you know that I managed to resolve the problem. I did make a WET save but didn't need it in the end as I managed to fire up the installation disk in upgrade mode then let the system run through. The only thing it reported as being damaged at the end was the .NET 4 installation which it then had to rebuild but besides that and the 54 updates I now need to reinstal plus the rather niggling little matter of reactivating my antivirus (Kaspersky doesn't retain its licence key during an upgrade, so it seems), it has activated properly again. I just need to test all the applications and reattach the secondary drive (I know, it was a bit paranoid but I've seen system installations do things like zero secondary partitions and drives before so I didn't want to take any chances).

Shame about the Kaspersky problem - but they are usually pretty good about it, from what I hear.
    I can't say I disagree with your being leery of the 'new' install - I prefer a clean install, or a re-image from backup myself.

Good luck.
    --

Monday, November 15, 2010 4:31 AM