Typepad and sitemaps -- Live Search ignores them RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Typepad based site, which means the sitemap is automatically written to a directory other than root (in this case, http://www.lifeskate/skate/sitemap.xml). I have a script that periodically copies the sitemap to the root directory, and the Live Search sitemap config box appears to be correctly pointing to it (http://www.lifeskate.com/sitemap.xml). The sitemap has full URLs, so even though the file is one level up, everything should work OK.

The problem is that even though Live Search appears to be crawling my site on a regular basis, it never recognizes that I have more than one page -- i.e., it seems to ignore my site map. Google and Yahoo have no problem here. There were some threads here about the formatting differences between Google sitemaps and Live Search, but that wouldn't seem to cause these issues. Any experience similar problems?
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:53 AM

Answers

• I am reasonably sure the issue with your site is due to the same problem I had.  I believe your sitemap.xml file is not actually getting saved as a utf-8 file, or that it has funky line endings. 

I am totally unfamiliar with typepad, so I am not sure how to help from here. 

Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:47 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure why only one (1) Indexed page shows up in your Webmaster tools, but this is a common issue that needs to be addressed with Microsoft.  However, Live.com has 315 pages cached from your site.  I believe Help Central can provide lengthier answers to this question.

There are several reason why this situation happens.

Log into your Webmaster Tools.  At the bottom of the page, right side, there is a small link for Help Central.

Good luck.

Doc Matthias

www.ohiopc-solutions.info

Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:08 AM
  • I am reasonably sure the issue with your site is due to the same problem I had.  I believe your sitemap.xml file is not actually getting saved as a utf-8 file, or that it has funky line endings. 

I am totally unfamiliar with typepad, so I am not sure how to help from here. 

Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:47 PM