Simply Accounting 2009 on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if anyone has used Simply Accounting on a WHS now that the file corruption issues should be a thing of the past.

Simply 2009 does require the installation of a Connection Manager service on a server but I doubt that should be an issue.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:35 AM

Answers

• Unless Simply Accounting is written specifically to work on Windows Home Server, I would recommend testing extensively before trusting your financial data to that configuration. The two areas that come to mind that you might have trouble with:
    • Simply Accounting may perform file system access in a way that effectively "goes around" Drive Extender. In this case, you may wind up with errors in Simply Accounting, corrupted or missing datbase files, etc.
    • Simply Accounting may hold some/all of it's data files open at all times. This will block Drive Extender from being able to properly manage files and duplicaiton. In this case, after 24 hours you will see network health warnings about the files that are being held open.
    You should also check to see if Simply Accounting has, or plans, a version specifically for Windows Home Server. If they do, that would be what you would want to use.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• Unless Simply Accounting is written specifically to work on Windows Home Server, I would recommend testing extensively before trusting your financial data to that configuration. The two areas that come to mind that you might have trouble with:
    • Simply Accounting may perform file system access in a way that effectively "goes around" Drive Extender. In this case, you may wind up with errors in Simply Accounting, corrupted or missing datbase files, etc.
    • Simply Accounting may hold some/all of it's data files open at all times. This will block Drive Extender from being able to properly manage files and duplicaiton. In this case, after 24 hours you will see network health warnings about the files that are being held open.
    You should also check to see if Simply Accounting has, or plans, a version specifically for Windows Home Server. If they do, that would be what you would want to use.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:59 PM
  • i use Quickbooks with my server and with a few workarounds it works fine.  Install it and try it out with some sample company files to se the results.  The problems i had were multi-user issues.  i tried SA before and i think they will probably work in a similar fashion.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:49 AM
  • Hello sedin26,

I have the same question as you. Ken brings up some valid points...

Did you give it a try anyway and were you successful?
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Not to dig up the past, but I was interested in this as well. Does creating a share (Like Simply Accounting 2009 does on any Server-based OS) break anything with WHS or cause any issues? SA2009 insists on installing its own share folder, rather than allowing you to use an existing share.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Not to dig up the past, but I was interested in this as well. Does creating a share (Like Simply Accounting 2009 does on any Server-based OS) break anything with WHS or cause any issues? SA2009 insists on installing its own share folder, rather than allowing you to use an existing share.

Considering sedin26 (hey, another hockey fan :)  ) never answered eric_lap's post, I doubt you'll get an answer either (except for Ken's repsonse, which is good advice and should be listened to).
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Thought I'd post an update in case anyone ever wants to know about running Simply Accounting (any version) on WHS v1.  It is not supported and does not work properly.  Due to the way SA works, it is not a safe method of storing your financial data.  Even if you store the company file on a drive that isn't in the storage pool, it doesn't seem to work right.

I haven't tried with WHS Vail but I'm fairly certain it would work fine in that case.  I suspect I'll try it out with both Simply Accounting and Quickbooks so I'll post an update if and when I do.

Friday, July 29, 2011 11:55 PM