Windows Server 2008 Indexing Server not returning results for files in virtual directory RRS feed

• Question

• I seriously doubt that this is the correct forum for my question, but it seemed to be the best fit of the ones I saw available.  I need this question in a MS monitored forum (just in case someone moves it).

I am moving an ASP.NET web application that uses Index Server from Windows 2003 to 2008.  I have the Indexing Service setup with a catalog and my files are getting indexed.  I seem to have trouble though due to specifying a scope in my query of the indexing service.

I have 3 directories added to my catalog and each of those physical directories is a virtual directory.

When I specify a scope of Scope('DEEP TRAVERSAL OF "/PDN"') to retrieve the files from the /PDN virtual directory matching the search criteria, I get no results.  This works on my Windows 2003 server.

One thing that concerns me is something mentioned here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954822

In the section titled "Changes that were made to the Indexing Service for Windows Server 2008" it says something about not being able to index IIS web sites.  What does that mean?  Does that mean it can't index virtual directories?  My files are getting indexed.  I know that because I created the sample query page they provide a link to on that page.  I can see files in the search results.  It is only when I specify a scope specifying my virtual directory that I lose my results.  I am wondering if that has something to do with the statement about not being able to index IIS sites?  Could it be that it doesn't know how to handle the /PDN virtual directory because it can't index IIS web sites?

Thanks.

• Moved by Paul Zhou Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:05 AM (From:.NET Platform Architecture Development Discussions)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• I thought I would reply with the solution to this to help others.  This is based on a case with Microsoft Support.

Apparently the indexing service that has been around for years is dead and will not work on Windows Server 2008 for web sites just as I had feared.  Microsoft will not be making any non-security related updates to it.

As I said above, the service does index the directories, the problem is that when trying to query them using the Scope operator to limit the results to a particular virtual directory, no results are returned even though documents in the virtual directory match the query.

There is a work-around though that I was able to make work for me.  Instead of providing a virtual directory in the scope, specify the physical directory.  You can use the Server.MapPath method to convert a virtual directory to a physical directory.

The Microsoft Support engineer provided the following link to help me determine what my long term indexing solution should be.

http://www.microsoft.com/enterprisesearch/searchserverexpress/en/us/compare.aspx

• Marked as answer by Brad_Radaker Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I'd like to move your thread to off-topic because it is a problem related to ASP.NET. You may post thread in ASP.NET Forum. There are more experts in that forum so that you may get more useful help there.

Thank you for your posting and understanding.

Have a nice day.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:05 AM
  • I thought I would reply with the solution to this to help others.  This is based on a case with Microsoft Support.

Apparently the indexing service that has been around for years is dead and will not work on Windows Server 2008 for web sites just as I had feared.  Microsoft will not be making any non-security related updates to it.

As I said above, the service does index the directories, the problem is that when trying to query them using the Scope operator to limit the results to a particular virtual directory, no results are returned even though documents in the virtual directory match the query.

There is a work-around though that I was able to make work for me.  Instead of providing a virtual directory in the scope, specify the physical directory.  You can use the Server.MapPath method to convert a virtual directory to a physical directory.

The Microsoft Support engineer provided the following link to help me determine what my long term indexing solution should be.

http://www.microsoft.com/enterprisesearch/searchserverexpress/en/us/compare.aspx

• Marked as answer by Brad_Radaker Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:29 PM